Sunday, November 07, 2010

Very Lucky Seven

Any time that I can get one cat out of the shelter, I consider it a "good rescue day".  But when I can rescue SEVEN in one day, I call that a "GREAT rescue day". 

I had the privilege of meeting two families at the shelter today each who wanted to adopt a cat. 

Family #1 was a really wonderful couple who agonized over which cat to adopt.  They ended up with one of the most grateful cats I've ever seen:
My jaw hit the ground when the husband said, "I love black cats."  I think I stammered.  :)  I called Kyle and his wife later tonight and they said that our newly rescued handsome black boy LOVED their Standard Poodle and was "sacked out" on their bed purring and kneading.  (I think I'm still smiling)

Family #2 was a really special single lady that adopted two cats from me last year.  She decided she really wanted another Tortie girl and fell madly in love with "Sherra" who had been abandoned and quickly became a shelter favourite:
Imagine my surprise when she went to "Mya"s cage:

Mya has been at the shelter since early July.  She is insanely sweet and had only recently felt depressed.  The adopter really wanted to see if Sherra and Mya would like each other, so we took them into the dog holding area (no dogs were there) to see what would happen.  At first I scoffed..."A Tabbico and a Tortie in the same room?? Pshaww!!"  But the girls were instant friends.  They even walked side by side around the room together for comfort. 

She took them BOTH home.  :) 

The rest of the day was a blurr!  I'm happy to report that my favourite little boy Batman has been rescued thanks to some creative foster parents.  One foster Mom told me that she could foster Batman, but couldn't give him a 2 week quarantine period from her cats.  Another foster Mom wrote me and said that she couldn't foster him, but could give Batman a 2 week quarantine period.  I put them in contact with each other and....Yahooooo....Batman was rescued!  Thank you, Renee, Cindy and Matt for putting this together!

THEN.....I was able to rescue my favourite tabby boy "Chase":
I was so excited when Kelly called me and said, "Beth, I can foster Chase!"  Kelly really put her heart on the line, since she recently adopted her own foster cat.  Taking in another foster wasn't an easy decision for Kelly and I'm so appreciative.  Kelly's going to find out what having a "tabby love fest" is all about!

"Logan" is another love sponge who had been at the shelter far too long:

I brought him to my house this afternoon and left him in my washroom until his new foster Mom was available.  I inadvertently forgot to tell David that Logan was in there.  I could hear David in the washroom saying in a rather high voice,  "Hey buddy....do I know you?  Then there was silence.  Then I heard him shout (sounding a little more desperate), "Beth!!!!  Do I know this guy in here????"  (Have I said how much I love my husband?)  My friend Michelle has never fostered a tabby boy before, so she has a VERY special tabby Logan love fest in store for her!

Last, but certainly not least, I received an email this morning from Forgotten Ones Cat Rescue who asked me to pick up "Conner" for her:
This picture doesn't do Conner justice!  He's so sweet and handsome!  I'm guessing he'll be adopted quickly.  His eyes looked at me with such appreciation. 

I realize this isn't a beautifully written blog post tonight, but I'm hoping you can read by the fluff to count 1, 2, 3,4,5,6, SEVEN cats rescued today.  I really can't think of a better way to spend a beautiful Sunday:  Rescuing cats, and meeting the people that made it possible for me to rescue them.   Thank you all so very, very much for making me smile today.  :)

9 comments:

Deb said...

I thought I had a great day but I would have to say you have me beat. Your day was 1 in a million and I am so happy you shared this with us. All possible thanks to your hard work.
Hugs, Deb =^..^=x5

Emsworth Girl said...

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah yes that is x7 whoa! what a grand day out!

Luckypaws said...

They are all gorgeous but I am so happy for Mya in particular. Such a long time for a cat to be in a shelter!

Julia.Davidovich said...

That certainly brightened up my day! Glad to hear it :)

Kea said...

Oh, Beth, I'm so happy -- for all 7 cats and for you too. What an incredible day. My heart is overflowing, reading this post.

Unknown said...

Awesome work Deb!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realise you got *7* cats out of there :D I know you said it would be a great rescue day but 7??! Wow! So happy about that! Also, very pleased Chase got out :-) And we both laughed out loud at David's reaction, what a guy :-)

Cindy, B, S, O'M and B

Josie said...

What a wonderful day!

Caroline said...

Wow there are so many rescued cats on this post that I was thinking that Batman and Chase were the same but I read the previous post and straightened that out in my brain. Thanks to Beth and all the rescuers, even if you can only foster for a week that can make a huge difference for someone else who may be able to do all but that week. Also vacation coverage is always needed. My prayers are with the tortie baby in the next post, fingers crossed someone will come through. "Bella" says hi to all the blog readers, she's doing great and is a real lovebug!