Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Educating the Public (A Rant)

I really miss having that little firecracker Tortie kitten in the house.  She was such a piece of joy around here!  As promised, here's the video of her when she first arrived at my house:  (Please ignore the blue towel on the rack in the background.  I think I'm the only one in the house who knows how to properly hang up a towel.  Men!)



Because my cat rescue phone line is linked with the shelter's Petfinder website, I occasionally get phone calls from the public who should be directing them to the city shelter.  Today, I answered the phone and a very professional sounding man was on the other end.  He had lost his cat and there was a cat on the shelter Petfinder site that looked like him.  We chatted a few minutes and he sounded educated and sincere - until - he told me his cat wasn't neutered because he "wouldn't want his balls chopped off, so why do this to his cat." 

It's hard to believe people still exist like this.  He sounded like such a neanderthal!  I decided to politely tell him how many kittens die in that shelter every year.   He said that he and his neighbour wanted to "breed" their two cats because they were both "good lookin' black and white cats who could have some good lookin' kittens."  I gave him the usual lecture, but I doubt that it did any good.  It hurt me to think of how many black and white kittens died in the shelter over the summer because nobody wanted them.  Maybe some were the offspring of his own cat.

 Honestly?  I'm STILL angry and I spoke with this idiot 6 hours ago.  How could somebody who otherwise sounded so educated, be so ignorant? 

As usual, I'm preachin' to the choir, but it feels good to write it out.  Hard to believe I managed to write this blog post without any profanity. 

11 comments:

Luckypaws said...

I really admire you for taking the time to try and educate people about desexing their pets. I must confess I rarely bother because I've never had anyone listen to me but I do feel a bit guilty for not trying! Even though this guy may not take your advice, you know you did your best.

Deb said...

I hear ya!

Caroline said...

OMG the tortie baby is sooooooo CUTE! Such a fighter, the new foster mom is going to have a ton of fun! Great job Beth!

nicole said...

Ugh that would have ruined my MONTH talking to an idiot like that!! People are so ignorant!

Josie said...

That makes me think of the lady whom I got Cordelia Joy from. Long story short she acted apologetic that Cordelia was getting spayed (by our local Paw organization) and I said that I was fine with that. I didn't have the time or space for a litter of kittens! Bless you and all you do :) I'm also glad I'm not the only person who talks in a sing-song voice to kitties!

Kea said...

Precious Pansy...I hope she has a long and happy life in a LOVING home.

As for that man...Too bad HE wasn't neutered, as his ignorant/stupid gene really shouldn't be passed on.

Unknown said...

Ohhh she is soo adorable, you know I'm partial to tortie kitty cats. It sucks you had to answer that phone call, I hope he somehow comes around and fixes his cat.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Take a deep breath, now, remember, neutering isn't just for cats and dogs...he just got missed!

House of the Discarded said...

Brian: ROFL!!!!!!!!!

oowowaee said...

How could anyone hurt a little kitten like that, what a sweetheart!

Lisa said...

Awwwww, Pansy is such a dear. Poor little sweetie! I just want to pick her up and kiss her all over and give her all the kindness she deserves.
As for the neuter-phobic guy, I'm with the folk that suggest someone neuter HIM!
Beth, feel free to share my stories with anyone who hesitates when considering pet sterilization.

http://lisapizzapie.blogspot.com/2009/02/in-support-of-spayingneutering-pets.html

http://lisapizzapie.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-lecture-to-cat-owners.html