Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hello Dolly!

Ever since I've posted a cat rescue phone number on Petfinder, I've been bombarded with phone calls from the public wanting to surrender their cats.  I've been getting 3-4 calls per day!  Most of the time, they just leave their name,  "Hi, this is Mrs. Jones - please call me at yada yada yada..."  I'm always hopeful it's somebody who wants to adopt from the shelter.  It's so deflating to hear some lame excuse about dumping a cat. 

I think what I'm going to do is start duplicating the efforts at the shelter and post some of the pictures on my Petfinder site.  Maybe the additional exposure will help.  I'll only post the cats that I know so that I can give a brief bio too.  At least my Petfinder site won't be totally bare until January! 

I decided to call the Charities Directorate yesterday to see if they received my application package.  I could hear the clerk *click* *click* on the computer.  "Sorry.  It's not in the system yet."  Bah!  (Be patient Beth....be patient.)

There was another cat at the shelter that really spoke to my heart.  Her name is "Dolly":
When Dolly first arrived at the shelter, the staff thought she was a VERY OLD senior.  After looking at her teeth, they realized that this sweet little muffin is only about 1 year old.  Dolly was starving.  I've seen a lot of cats who are "boney", but nothing like Dolly.  I don't know how she is still alive.  Dolly is a survivor!  She is not only alive, but purring, kneading and will headbutt your hand.  Even the Animal Control officer that found her loved her and wants to see her rescued.  She's such a gentle, sweet soul.

If you can help Dolly - please let me know right away.  The euthanasia days are now Tuesday and Thursday, so Dolly may not have much time left.

Damn.  I wish these things didn't hurt so much.

UPDATE:  DOLLY IS BEING RESCUED TODAY!!! Whoopie!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Beth with christmas coming up, I'm putting your rescue on my christmas list for a donation. Do you have any information yet on how I can donate?

Good luck with Dolly hopefully someone has room in their home and heart!

House of the Discarded said...

Erika: Oh boy!!! Can you email me, please? info@foreverhomecatrescue.com

Kristen said...

Ahhhh yay so glad!!! Her colour and fur remind me of my cat. This sweet angel needs some fancy feast!!!

Debbie said...

We passed you on the Hwy yesterday, you must have been on your way home from the shelter :)
Happy for Dolly!
Hope more will be rescued soon!

Cindy, Bertie, Sammy, O'Mally and Batman said...

I'm *so* happy for Dolly! No doubt she'll double in size once she gets some TLC... Your blog is *such* a lifeline for these cats :-)

Still terribly depressing that so many people are apparently trying to get rid of their cats though...How could anyone be so cruel...I have a hard enough time saying goodbye to my foster cats and I know they're going to a good home..

Anonymous said...

Beth, great to hear Dolly is being rescued.I also would like to know how I can support your charity financially, do you have anything set up yet?