Wednesday, June 09, 2010

A Full Day

I really enjoy these kind of rescue days. It wasn't because I took an enormous number of cats from the shelter, but I was able to participate in a full gambit of rescue that I enjoy:

1. Rescued "Dickens" who had been at the shelter the longest. (3 months!)

2. Contacted a rescue while at the shelter to tell them about a Cornish Rex that had arrived. "Do you want to rescue him?" "YES, bring him, along with Dickens!"

3. Met a WONDERFUL adopter for "Emily" the butterball girl and it was love at first site - a forever home for Emily! Yay!

4. Called a foster Mom while at the shelter and asked (begged) her to take a 16 week black kitten. "Sure, Beth! We can take him!"

5. Rescued "Renee" a white Persian and met the adopters at a Tim Horton's parking lot...lovely people and they LOVED Renee!

All this took place from 10 am - 2 pm. I was home in time to empty the dishwasher, answer emails, syringe feed a sick foster kitten, scoop poop and write in this blog.

While I was taking video at the shelter today, it occurred to me why videos of this nature have sad music playing. It's not just for dramatic effect - believe me! It's to drown out the sound of the person's voice in the background. Holy God, why did I feel the need to talk in this videos?

After 3 months, Dickens is ready to go in this video:


The staff at the shelter must think I'm such a dimwit, because I talk to ALL the cats as I walk up and down the aisles. I can't touch all of them for many reasons, but I can certainly talk to them.

I'm going to post a few videos that I took today over the next day or two to give you an idea on what I see when I go into the shelter. I've resisted the urge to go from cat room, to cat room taking video, so you're really only seeing a tenth of what's really there:


I'm finding it hard to relive these videos again. When I leave the shelter, I'm usually thinking about 1 or 2 cats that have left an imprint on my heart. But these videos make me think about ALL the cats and I'm finding it very difficult to watch.

Tonight, I'm going to think about the cats that I *DID* get out and hope that the videos over the next few days inspire some of you to help, and those of you who DO help know what good work you're doing.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh god. I am losing it right now *sniff, sniff* . I wish I didn't put the volume on to hear you talking to them and hear them talking to you (the one kitten trying to get out ahhh!!!) I don't know how you can go in there Beth just seeing that little bit was so hard. I can't do anything, nothing, to help them..but pray everyday that you can find people that can help. the Dickens video definitely gave me a smile (for a few seconds anyway). thank god for people like you (*ANGEL*)

Sarah

Smartypants said...

Oh Beth. It hurts. I can't imagine how much it must hurt to be there. You are an incredible woman. Thank you for doing what you do.

whitesocks said...

Beth, I'm so glad you did speak. It enhanced our ability to experience what it's like there. And you're the bravest, most amazing woman to keep relentlessly going there.

Please, could you post this video on your FB page? I want to share it so people SEE all these wonderful little creatures in shelters...and realize they need to go adopt and NEVER buy.

whitesocks said...

Okay, I figured out that I could share the video by going to the youtube link...so not to worry about posting to FB (although that might be a good thing anyway :)). Thanks!

Ecochica said...

Please just remember the beautiful lives that you did save to day! We must always stay positive!! Love you Beth!

Anonymous said...

Seeing that first hand today was very hard. Thank you for all you do and thank you for helping me get Molly (aka Emily) she is the biggest love bug. She is enjoying some well needed brushing right now.

Julie said...

Hey Beth, I'm so glad you posted the videos so people can see the reality. We can save a few but all those faces haunt rescuers, like you and me and everyone else "brave enough" to trek to that place. I only wish the damned people who didn't get their pets fixed could see this to see what they are doing, the cats that won't make it, and the ones desperately trying to get the attention of a potential rescuer.

Thanks for the video and I think your voice and more importantly - your sighs - are worth a thousand words.

sigh…

House of the Discarded said...

Julie: It's funny that you picked up on the sighing. I was really embarrassed about it when I heard the video! I didn't noticed that I sighed so much :(

Anonymous said...

Beth....I was shocked when I first went to the shelter. The sound of their cries is deafening. It is so hard to pick and choose who to save. And you're not the only one who talks to all the cats. Everytime I go to buy cat food at the pet store I have to stop and chat with all the cats.....and I often end up leaving the store in tears because I hate to see the cats in those cages looking for love.......Dori

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this Beth! I go in there everyday to work and I do not see it like this.....these 2 video's brought tears to my eyes and I have NO idea why?? So weird.
Lets hope this helps gets some of these precious souls out of there before its too late!
Franklin, Q-tip, Tana, Snooze, Billy, Cheesy, Skippy, Wylie, Elvis and Thelma are all out in the garage area and have been there the longest!
Thanks for caring so much Beth and for coming as often as you do!
Kim

Anonymous said...

It's funny, because I know that cage bank is so small, yet the video makes you look at the individuals... Even though I was just there on Friday and looked very closely at all those guys (and took two!!) it just seems more overwhelming in that format. As you say, this is a tenth of the cages, room after room... With 4 banks this size in each...

Glad to hear the orange boy got out :) The threesome here are awesome! Willie has the sneezes but that's to be expected ;)

jen

Anonymous said...

Wow...can you say heartbreaking? Sure brings that lump-in-your-throat feeling when you watch a video like that. Especially seeing that little tabby relentlessly trying to get out. It's like he's begging you to free him. *Sigh*. I remember that sight when I got our Mo...it will always stick.
Just curious...did that little tabby get rescued??

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: No, the tabby didn't didn't get rescued. I don't have a foster home for her :(

Crystal said...

Thank you so much for posting these video's. I have shared it wil all of my family and friends. They call me the crazy cat lady but now they truly understand why I foster. My husband now understands why I usually come home with 2 cats after visiting the shelter:) I cannot thank you enough for sharing these heartbreaking stories!!!!!