Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

I feel like a drenched rat today.  It started with meeting a woman who had been helping a small colony of cats who were living under a dumpster.  She had promised me that they were "Very Friendly" and about "10-12 weeks old". 

Truth?  They were 5 months old and I couldn't touch them.  I drove 40 minutes to get there this morning in dead stop traffic in the rain and pea soup fog.  I hate it when people lie.  I gave her some advice on trapping and some resources, but I really couldn't help her otherwise.  These kittens were on the cusp of adulthood and if she didn't get them in to be fixed within the next week or two, she would end up with hundreds of cats very quickly.  It was all very sad.  I'll think about their little faces when the weather gets colder later this week.

I received a call from a woman a few days ago who had been helping a cat left alone in an apartment after his owner died.  When I arrived to the modest building, she warned me:  "It's pretty bad in there."  But nothing could've prepared me for the smell.  It smelled like someone very very sick had lived there.  It smelled like death.  I'm not sensitive to smells, but I gagged when I walked in:



Even though I said he needed a name, I decided to call him "Josh".  He's being neutered at the vets tomorrow and he needs a foster home.  I introduced him to the vet clinic cat named 'Bob', and he was fine with him.  (Bonus!)

I really feel like I've been stepping out of my comfort zone with regards to rescue.  That's not always a good thing for me, but it's certainly been an education.  It's left me feeling really exhausted.  I can't really remember the last time I felt well rested.  I've been staying up too late while David is away watching reruns of, Hoarders and Intervention - ALL t.v. shows that David hates to watch.  He calls Monday night "Despair Night".  LOL

Early to bed tonight - it's going to be another early morning.... 

 

6 comments:

Robin Sarafinchan said...

I always feel better about my life after watching Hoarders. Depending on where the woman with the colony is, I may be able to help her with trapping, or at least could offer advice. You can give her my email address. Thank you for taking Josh, I'm sure his owner's spirit will rest easier now.

Robin Sarafinchan said...

Thank you for taking Josh in, I'm sure his owner's spirit will rest easier now. Depending on where the little colony is located, I may be able to help her with trapping, or at least offer advice. Please feel free to give her my email address. I always feel better about my house after watching Hoarders.

Deb said...

Bless your heart Beth for all you do. Even your voice shows your care and concern for these cats. I know what you mean about the outdoor ones. They break my heart and there are plenty of them in our town and the outskirts. Lots of kind people feed them but that's it. Thanks for all that you do.

House of the Discarded said...

Robin: THANK YOU!!!

Ecochica said...

Josh is beautiful and so lucky to have that neighbour and you! BTW my dad HATES Hoarders and Intervention as well!! It must be a weird man thing!

Jennifer Ambrose said...

Hi Beth and Robin,
I've been out to visit these kittens twice this week. There are a couple of fairly social ones in the mix that I will bring home with me to see how they adjust. I've also registered the colony with THS and will be taking them in for the next spay neuter clinic (two sundays from now). Robin, I could really use some help rounding them up. Toronto Cat Rescue has my contact info if you want to get in touch to coordinate a team effort. Many thanks in advance.