Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Retraction, Adoption, and a Silver Lining

First, I need to make a HAPPY retraction:  The black kitten that was left alone after his "pretty sibling" was taken by a shelter staff member is alive and being rescued today by another rescue organization!  It's crazy how we all have so much technology and ability to communicate with each other, but my message didn't go through about saving him, and I didn't get word that he was still alive until a few minutes ago.  Regardless, it was WONDERFUL news and I'm thrilled!  (Although you could've knocked me over with a feather with the news!) 

Our adoption lines are ringing and I'm busy.  I didn't realize how frustrated and negative my last posts have been until I read them again.   Yesterday, I read a Facebook post from a fellow rescuer who publically proclaimed her frustration over something.  Was it a full moon?

I'm pleased to announce that we're going to be featuring kittens in a local pet food store full time!  That was a huge uplifting moment for me.  Many hugs and thank you's to our volunteer who started talking with a new pet store owner and made a great impression.  I went over to seal the deal today!  Without talking to people, we'll never know what the possibilities are.   In the meantime, we have to buy quite a few supplies - one of them is a $200.00 ferret cage on rollers so that the pet store owner can wheel the kittens in the back at night so to not set off the alarm.   I'm hopeful we'll get some donations to get set up there.   (Ohhhhh...how I hate asking for money!)

We really haven't been rescuing this week from the shelter.  I'm trying to stabilize our rescue as I received EIGHT phone calls in one day over sick cats.  When we get this many calls in one day, I have to stop, regroup and review.  To continue to rescue when our vet bills are in the thousands and thousands of dollars AND (temporarily) climbing makes no sense to me.   I'm in this for the long haul and being a conservative rescuer is what works for me.

Hold on to your hats...but my other big news is that my foster cat "MAX" was adopted last night!!!
My little goofy boy has gone to a great home by a family who was looking for a rowdy no nonsense guy that will "party" with two of their hooligan cats.  Max was oddly social with them last night.  He greeted them at the door and hung out with the family very closely.  He knew.  He really knew.  The Mom played a little rough with him and before I could caution her, he started bunny kicking her arm and gave her a good *chomp* and drew blood.  She wiped it off and casually said, "That's what I get for playing so rough with him."  Loved her!   

As usual, I miss my goofy boy and worried about him today until I heard he had slept with them and despite some hissing and growling at the other cats he seems totally fine.  So I'm down one foster cat and the house seems a little imbalanced. 

The silver lining in my life was never really gone.  It was just tucked away until I was smart enough to figure out how blessed my life really is. 

9 comments:

Random Felines said...

YEAH!!! A life spared, an adoption, and a new relationship with a store owner. The details will work out.....

Oh - and love Max's new mom....no freaking out just "shouldn't have done that". :)

Lory and Co. said...

That's wonderful news about the kitten! And about the new pet store! As for the ferret cage, would you consider a used one? Found one online for half the cost.... Eitherway, I will get my first real estate commission soon, so expect a donation from me!

House of the Discarded said...

Lory: YES!!!!! Send me a pic if you can of the ferret cage. It has to look really nice to be in the store.

Hurray!

B

Marg said...

It is so hard when the foster kitty leaves. It is so nice to hear stories about kitties that are getting adopted.

Lorelei said...

I'm so happy that little black kitten is safe. I have such a soft spot for the black ones...and the orange ones lol. I was really heartbroken last night that he didn't make it and am even more elated today that he did. Thank you for the update and I'm so happy you found the silver lining again! :-)

Devon said...

So happy for that little black kitten and Max! And hurray for your own pet store!!!

Anonymous said...

How "broken telephone" can mix up messages and cause unfound grief. Yay for little black kitten and Max!
The pet store news is the best news by far. That'll help speed up adoptions for the healthy ones and leave time for the sick ones to recover.

Chrissykat said...

I cried sad tears over that sweet little black kitten yesterday and today I am crying tears of joy. Amazing...I am so happy and this made my day. Also doing a happy dance for Max. Good stuff all around!

Anonymous said...

I saw the little guy just after he was rescued when I was picking up my own 2 rescues (Prince & Charley). He was sooooo cute!