Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Where's The Silver Lining When I Need One?

I had a dream last night that I was hanging off a cliff and my hands were sweaty and slipping.  I sat straight up in bed and heard screaming from outside our bedroom window.  "Raccoons!"  I learned about 8 years ago when I first moved to Canada that Raccoons make some crazy noises.  The first time I heard it I went running out in the middle of the night swinging a hockey stick.  I was SURE that a coyote was killing a baby or something. A neighbour called the police on me. 

I was grateful to the raccoons last night.  That dream was going nowhere - fast.

After yesterdays urgent posting for the remaining black kitten of a Siamese litter, I received 2 volunteers willing to take the little guy.  But it was too late.  He was killed this morning at the shelter.  Our hearts are broken and I definitely want to grieve for this little guy.  *Somebody* has to grieve for him.  Obviously the employee who took his "pretty" sibling didn't give a shit.

The day didn't get much better after that. 

We had a dedicated foster Mom leave her Niagara Falls home at 7:30 this morning and drive ONE HOUR to a veterinary clinic to meet an adopter who wanted to adopt one of her kittens.  (It's amazing what we have to do these days for adoptions.)  The meeting was confirmed and the woman NEVER showed up.  Imagine driving 1 hour ONE WAY only to be stood up. 

The message I left the adopter wasn't nice.  I tried to go on the assumption that *maybe* there was a death in the family, or something.  Surely, she wasn't that big of a bitch to make a lovely volunteer drive TWO HOURS round trip for nothing?  It occurred to me that I knew where this woman worked.  She worked about 5 minutes from my house at a local pet food store.  "Could I help it that I needed cat food this afternoon??"  Sadly, she wasn't working.  I don't know what I would've said anyway - but I would've said something, you can be sure of that.

Nobody treats our volunteers like crap.  We all work too damn hard at this to be treated badly. 

I've been working very hard at finding the silver lining.  Yesterday, I had a phone call from a WONDERFUL former adopter who took the time to call me and give me some thoughts of fundraising.  She's such a delightful, positive person and "Rosie" was the first cat I rescued for our rescue! 

Speaking of fundraising, we also have VERY VERY exciting news coming up.  I'm not going to say what it is until the details are ironed out.  But it's a fundraiser that will knock your socks off!  I'm over-the-moon excited about this and will have full information in the next few days.  Keeping mum about it until then. 

We're back in Petsmart Oakville for the month of September.  Lots of work and we DESPERATELY need volunteers Monday to Friday in the mornings to scoop poop and feed the kittens.  No, Petsmart doesn't do this for us anymore.  They're getting away from PS Staff doing any Adoption Centre work.  If you're a charity,  have cats at a Petsmart, and the staff takes care of the cats, be prepared - times are a changin'.

(*Squinting*) "Silver Lining?  Is that you???"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth, I am sorry about the little black kitty. I will give an extra kiss and hug to my black foster kitten tonight. I can't wait to hear about the new fundraiser idea.
Try to stay positive. Although the last few days have been crappy things can only get better! And always remember the lives that you have saved and the wonderful work you do everyday. You keep all us volunteers/foster parents sane!
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Needless to say, I'm very, very sad about the little black guy. I know you want to remain positive about HAC but - and by now they should know that you can work miracles for those cats - why don't they check their messages first thing? One would think that there would be some people who work there who hope against hope that a call may have come through during the previous evening to save a life.

Also, the no-show adopter...that sucks! Life can always get in the way of things but at least call! I mean, it's not like it's a hugely complicated procedure. Pick up the handset - punch in a few numbers - voila.

That said, I am glad there was some good news too :-) New ideas about fundraising *and* an apparant fabulous event in the works are something to treasure (also, I'm dying to find out what it is now...I'm a three year old at heart, I can't stand the 'not-knowing', as my husband will attest to)

Upwards and onwards Beth, upwards and onwards :-)

Cindy, Bertie, Sammy, Malley, Batman and Garth Vader

Lory and Co. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that little black kitten. I don't understand how people can be so heartless. My prayers are with him and all the other cats that pass away needlessly everyday.

Cherie said...

So sorry to hear about the black kittie when foster homes were available. I grieve with you and send him love going over the rainbow bridge for a young life lived in vain. The adopter could have phoned to cancel if she changed her mind, but, well, you know...
Good luck with your exciting new venture. Waiting to read all about it!

mary said...

I don't like black cats. I LOVE them! Eight years ago I volunteered at a no-kill rescue and fostered 2 kittens, one was black. I already had a cat and wasn't planning on adopting another one. But, Gracie, the little black kitten was so sweet and loving I just could not give her up. The other kitty a pretty grey tabby was quickly adopted. Everyday I give thanks for Gracie, she is a joy!

Anonymous said...

That's weird about PetSmart - I used to work there, and that was the only part of the job I liked! I bet the employees aren't happy about the change. I used to get scolded for playing with the cats too long when I was supposed to be doing opening duties in the morning.:)

Random Felines said...

Well that sucks. And people wonder why mom hangs out with us more than some people.....

But - you are back at petsmart and have good news on the horizon for fund raising. We will send you some long distance Ivy kisses - she is a great kisser (and mom will even make sure she hasn't eaten any flies recently).