Thursday, August 18, 2011

*Almost* Vacation Time

I wish I could be like other people and go on a holiday by packing a suitcase, watering the plants and leaving.  Instead, I have a wonderful petsitter coming to my home and stay the week while the family and I are going on vacation.  There's so much to do when somebody is actually staying in your home! 

Wilbur is my youngest son's cat that doesn't like anybody but my son.  He actually lives in my son's room and each day we put Wilbur outside in the cat den for about 4 hours to play.  He just wants to be with my son and is completely antisocial with anybody but him.  So Wilbur is going to a fancy $30.00 per day boarding facility while we're gone.  No sense in the Petsitter dealing with him.  Hell...it might be cheaper to rent a room for the little booger at a motel!  LOL 

Our other girl "Newman" has epilepsy and requires a pill 2 times per day.  She won't let anyone give her a pill but me, so our Petsitter has to deal with Newman.  She's too fragile to go into a boarding facility - even a fancy one.   Our 22 pound white cat takes anti-anxiety medication each day or he'll pee in her suitcase. 

Sheets have to be washed, cat dishes cleaned...of course, *somebody* barfed on our bed last night, so all our bedding has to be washed now.  Something else for the to-do list. 

I don't think men some people fully understand what's required to leave the house for a week.  I can't just leave out a shitload of cat food and a towel for the petsitter.  David and my sons are looking at me like I'm crazy.  They don't seem to understand why on earth a new bar of soap is required in the guest room shower when a disgusting bar with a black hair stuck in it works just fine.  ARGH!!!!!!!

Just getting the house in order is crazy - but getting THE RESCUE in order for me to leave, is crazier!  When you run a rescue, you are never "off the clock".  I'll have my phone with me for emergencies and questions.  I'm meeting with 3 of our volunteers today to go through some training regarding emails and phones.  I forget that I easily have answers at hand. 

I'll spend much of my holiday on the phone and will make sure WiFi is in the condo we rented.  David wants me to leave my cell phone at home.  "Is he kidding???"  My daughter and her boyfriend are flying into Florida from California to meet us for the week.  Once again, I'll be overwhelmed with joy that ALL my little chick-a-dees are under one roof. 

Am I complaining?  Naaah....I live a blessed life.  :) 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Beth I completely understand ! Been there, done that ! Even when I leave pages of notes,and lists of whom to cal if... I always have a fit when I think of something I didn't mention about some kittys idiosyncrasies and make a call as soon as I reach our destination. Men don't understand this...they don't worry ! Can't understand that ! It's always been one of my daughters who moves in 'til we get back, lol, and by the time I get home, my daughter says "I don't know how you do it all Mom". At least that's kinda gratifying..since NOBODY else notices LOL. Now both daughters have umpty pets of their own and don't have time to babysit for us, so we stay home...works for me ! Look at all that extra laundry I don't have to do ! Stay cool, Beth, enjoy your "time off"..we'll be anxiously awaiting your return Love Gail

Random Felines said...

I don't have to juggle that much, but it is hard to leave when you have so many things at home. Try to take a few minutes while you are gone and enjoy yourself....

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLLY understand the clean bar of soap thing and the trouble of getting ready to go away. I have this trouble when I go for a day or two and my family thinks I'm nuts too.

Dori

Debbie said...

I am with you.
For some reason the house needs to be spic and span!
I know Paula won't care what it looks like!!
Enjoy your time with your family, as they get older you get very little time with one or all of them.
PS)Chrissy slept with Jess AND the 2 dogs last night!!!!
When you leaving???

Anonymous said...

Haha, another person here who understands the pre-vacation stress! I always think to myself "just get it all done and then as soon as you're out the door you can relax!"

Tina said...

I completely understand Beth. It takes me at least a day to stop worrying about my kids. I'm always so happy when it's time to go back because I know no one else can care for them like I can! We're going to get an RV someday so we don't have to leave them behind!

Caroline said...

What is it with guys and soap?? Ewww! Why can't Wilbur live in the bedroom with food and water as it sounds like he lives there normally anyway? Girl, your cats have issues, I feel better about my fosters! Have a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Yup, totally agree with you on all points... It's the same thing when we have guests. Matt doesn't understand that the house has to be extra sparkling (and by that I meant clean, not the sunlight bouncing off the cat hairs that are invariably floating around. The same goes for when we go on holiday (we do have far less to worry about than you though). I will write War and Peace sized instructions about the cats (e.g "If Bertie doesn't eat his breakfast from his buffet, it means he'll want private dining and expects you to carry the bowl into a corner of the living room" or "Malley prefers to sleep in such and such a spot, please make sure the others haven't made off with the basket" or "The big box with the holes is known as Fort Box. Please don't throw it out"). The fact that we have had the same sitter for a while doesn't matter...

I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful holiday with your family! Enjoy!

Cindy, Bertie, Sammy, Malley, Batman and Garth

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Yup, I'm with you too. I don't much like to travel anyway (I mean my cats aren't there!!) but when I do, I'm pulling my hair out prior to leaving and while I'm gone..

As for the soap, I always assumed that anyone staying at my house would bring their own toiletries.. but then again my soap comes out of a bottle, so I wouldn't notice if someone used it or not..

Luckypaws said...

Have a wonderful vacation! I love reading your blog :)

Shannon said...

When you get back from your vacation, I hope you get back to rescuing soon. I've never seen so many beautiful and healthy cats at the Hamilton animal control is it looks like there are at the moment.

Anonymous said...

You are so right Shannon, I check the list every morning and say a special prayer for all these wonderful kitties who are so special and deserving of a loving furrever home. We need you Beth ! Hope you're having a good rest and getting recharged for another round of rescuing ! Love Gail