Monday, August 29, 2011

Crummy, Stupid Day Rant

The flood gates of hell have opened and landed on my desk this morning.  Normally, I don't do a blog post at 3 pm, but I'm so tired and frustrated that blogging seems to be the best way to release some of my angst before David comes home from work.  :)

We've had a sick kitten, and an unfounded Distemper scare.  What is it about the "D" word that paralyzes us every time?  There's been *NO* Distemper in the shelter despite a bunch of ridiculous Facebook posts.  When somebody posts in a public forum that the shelter has Distemper, rescues STOP RESCUING.  Unless you know what you're talking about, don't post propaganda!  Now the shelter is full, and the situation there is dire.

By now, you have to know how much I hate to give fuel to the protesters, but I received word that a city employee who works AT THE SHELTER, took home a Siamese kitten, and left the black sibling alone in the cage to die tomorrow:

Seriously? How eff'd up is that?  If this employee thinks she's going to get any mercy on this blog from me, she's sorely mistaken.  The city employees that work at the shelter have a duty to set a good example for the public.  At least that's my opinion.  

My heart goes out to this black kitten.  He's alone in the cage as I type this and waiting to die tomorrow morning.  I hope this employee enjoys her one "pretty" kitten. 

We have a "return"  on a cat that was adopted back in April.  Apparently, the kitten scratched her 3 year old.  "Gee...a kitten who scratches a toddler.  I'll be darned."  Believe me, I try really hard to salvage returns.  I'm usually pretty good at it.  But there's no sense in trying to salvage an adoption when the adopter refers to the cat as "the animal".  She's obviously divorced herself from the cat.  The sooner we get him back, the better.  We just need to figure out WHERE to put him.  Our rescue is just so full right now.   He's an adorable orange and white guy - 7 months old.

Soooooo...it's 3:30 now and I haven't left my desk since 7:30 this morning.  Even PAID employees get a lunch hour, right?  It's time to use the washroom, kiss my own cats, and try to reclaim a more positive spin on the day. 

Thanks for listening....



15 comments:

Random Felines said...

How about a virtual ((HUG))??? There is no relief from stupid people....there are everywhere and just make life harder for the rest of us. Too bad we couldn't release the kittens and leave the stupid people for the vet.....hmmmmmmm

House of the Discarded said...

Random Felines: I'll take that hug!!!! :)

Caroline said...

How about putting the black kitten in with another loner kitten to give him more time? A small solution to a big problem... I hope someone can do that and the shelter can agree to it. It will free up a cage for another cat.

House of the Discarded said...

Caroline: I'm sure that was considered. It's all very sad.

JLi said...

Such short lived the joy :( I'm sorry there are so many stupid people out there. Argh!!! I try to remember karma but it doesn't help in the shortrun for the poor furbabies right now. Sigh. Here's another virtual hug...for you and the black kitty AND the returned kitten....

Melissa W. said...

Why do people on this earth treat cats as disposable "things". They are family members.
Enjoy life with them as long as they are with us!!!!!

The great thing about bad days is the next day will seem 10 times better! *HUGS*

Unknown said...

Fingers crossed that you can get the little guy out! We are partial to black cats because of Jack.

Anonymous said...

Funny, in our house when the 3 year old gets scratched first question is "Did you deserve it M? Were you bugging him?". Answer is always "ya Mama...". Perspective... But of course *her toddler* does no wrong... Blame the cat.

Chrissykat said...

Some people should not have pets...or kids for that matter. My heart is breaking for that little black kitten...

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Gee, kitty scratched the toddler...that is really unusual-NOT. A shelter worker that took the "pretty" one and left behind the black one shouldn't be working with cats! Sometimes I think some people are just to stupid to waste oxygen on...

Josie said...

I'm sorry you are having such a craptacular day. ((hugs))

Ironically, I'm the exception to the rule. I *love* black cats...and torties. I have a soft-spot for the less desirable colors I guess. (shrug)

Good luck on the adoption return. That seems a bit...like...duh! (can't put it into better words than that.)

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for the black kitten too...but isn't it better that she took one instead of none? I realize this is an unpopular opinion, and it's terrible that the little black kitten is by himself now. Obviously I don't know the story and she could be a shallow person - but maybe she could only take one kitten because she had others at home, or something. I don't know, it seems crappy on the surface, but at least one kitten got rescued. Or is it the fact that she took the Siamese, which would have had a better shot at getting by someone else?

Anonymous said...

But as for the adoption return, what a tool. Kids need to be taught to properly interact with their pets!

Anonymous said...

Cat Fancy had an article last month that stated that scientific research statisically showed that black cats actually tend to be sweet and affectionate.
I personally adopted a black kitten from a rescue about 3 months ago and I must say she is the perfect combination of playful and cuddly (like a ragdoll cat).
My wife just has the biggest smile on her face when the kitten curls up with her at bedtime. It is funny because I actually had to convince my wife to get another cat after losing one of our 3 year old cats to bone marrow disease.

I was the poster from 3 months ago that said various shelters and rescue groups would not adopt a single kitten to me because I did not want to take two since I already had one cat and had just lost one that had very high medical expenses. I wanted a black kitten specifically so I could do as much for the cat population as I could with that one rescue (in otherwords help the adoption rate of black cats).
I personally think the silky look of a black cat is very beautiful, but I would much prefer a cat with a good loving personality to a cat has some classic look but with a crappy temperment.

Heather said...

I have a special place in my heart for black cats. They've always been my favourite. My little fluffy black cat is the funniest, smartest, floppiest, snuggliest guy in the world. This picture breaks my heart into a thousand pieces. If I was in Toronto, I'd probably take him. I keep looking at his picture like looking at the scene of a car accident.