Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Busier Than I Wanna Be

I've been a lot busier than I want to be today.  I know some days are like that, but I've really felt pulled in so many different directions that I'm finding I have to make choices on what I can do and what I can't do each day.

I found myself short on time today and wasn't able to meet an adopter at the shelter.  I hate that!  Fortunately, a rescue-friendly staff member at the shelter was able to help.  (Thanks, Tiff!)  Thanks to her, Bronson was able to find a new home today:
I spent part of the day working on admin stuff.  Staying organized is easier than I thought - "Thank you, Google Docs"!   At my own expense, I decided to put a 9 day advertisement in 5 local newspapers just to introduce the rescue.  It wasn't expensive, but I'm hopeful it will continue to generate some more interest.

Thankfully, adoption calls keep coming in!  At least I know folks are looking at the website and there's been interest. 

I was able to make a small bank deposit today with adoption fees that recently came in.  I know, it's a small thing to be excited about, but seeing the cheques made out to "Forever Home Cat Rescue" was really exciting!  Yes, for a moment I actually considered taking a picture of one of the cheques and framing it.  :)

Due to the busy calendar, over the weekend I actually went to Walmart and bought a new Crock-Pot so that if all else fails - there WILL be dinner on the table!  Many years ago (in my first marriage) I was the kind of bride that threw flour on her face to look busy and exhausted when my husband walked through the door after work.  Today, (and husband #2)  I have no qualms about picking the cat hair off my sweater and saying, "We're going to Swiss Chalet.  Be happy."  (To my American Friends:  "Swiss Chalet is a cheap, chicken place)

On a VERY happy note:  I received a call from Helen last night.  She said after "Lane" had passed away she had spent quite a bit of time reading this blog and decided that she could be of FAR more help saving lives as a foster parent than just adopting.  SOOO.....Helen is going to be Foster Parent #21!  I'm going to the shelter tomorrow to rescue somebody special for her.   I couldn't help but think that "Lane" really and truly didn't die in vain - with his death, brought a new foster Mom to help more cats. 

Wow...reading back on this blog post, I'm truly all over the place with it.  But it certainly fits the days I've been having lately. 

9 comments:

Robin Sarafinchan said...

That's great news about Bronson. We saw him at the shelter Sunday, I know he had been there a long time and was marked urgent. He seemed like a lovely cat. They all did.

Caroline said...

Great post, uplifting!

Kea said...

Hurrah for Bronson!

And how wonderful that Helen has decided to foster! At least some good *has* come from Lane's passing.

Debbie said...

It sounds like you had a very productive day.
Glad things are moving along in rescue.
Can't wait to see the ad in the paper!!
It will be Stanley's turn soon!!!
Keep up the good work :)

Tia and Millie said...

Beth, I just wanted you to know that I featured you and your rescue efforts on the blog today. Hopefully it will generate some more interest and some more homes! The link is:

http://cuddlesandcatnip.blogspot.com/2011/01/tortureshell-tuesday-people-style.html

House of the Discarded said...

Tia: Thank you so much! Awesome blog :) :)

Colleen said...

Beth!

I just saw Q-Tip's video on your new website (awesome site design, by the way, so kudos to your web designer), and I'm pleased to let you know that Q-Tip (Alberta T. Katt - I changed her name, as promised - hee hee) found her forever home tonight and has been successfully adopted. I'm going to miss her but I'm absolutely delighted that she found a perfectly matched forever home, and I know she'll be happy.

And now I'm ready, willing and able to foster kitties via your new cat rescue, so sign me up.

Best regards,
Colleen

House of the Discarded said...

Colleen: Whoo hoo!!!!!! Awesome news, all the way around!!

-B

Pip said...

We are so glad that Bronson got a furever home!
YAY Colleen. Q-Tip gets a furever home too!
You two made our day.