Friday, January 28, 2011

The Adoption Call

I've been doing rescue for a zillion years, but when it comes to a stranger adopting one of my own foster cats, I'm no different than the newest foster parent.  A very nice couple are coming to meet my little "Doodle" tonight.  I'm still fostering Doodle with the rescue I  left last year, because I wanted to see the adoption through.  Tonight, might be the night. 

I have knots in my stomach and I am overwhelmed with guilt everytime I look at him.  Problem is - I've had him a little too long and now I'm going to get hurt when he leaves.  The couple sounds awesome - they have an 8 month old cat that needs a friend!  They sound great...but I still feel crummy. 

Maybe they won't like him.  I took this video of  Doodle and Clementine - my two fosters - who could not want them??



So now I wait.....7:30 will be here soon enough.  I'll post an update here after they leave tonight.

(Update 9:00 pm Friday evening:  Doodle has gone to his forever home.  Honestly, I couldn't have asked for nicer people.  Doodle *knew*.  He greeted them by falling out on the floor belly up when they arrived at the front door.  I've never seen him do that before!  He wouldn't leave them alone.  They were in love and I think the feeling was mutual.  I'll miss him...but I feel peaceful and happy.)

10 comments:

Kea said...

Oh! I'm not sure I should say good luck -- lol. What I will say is that I'm sending universal Light for Doodle's Highest Good, whatever that might be.

(((Hugs)))

Devon said...

It's always so hard when they've been there a while, they're almost like your own! But it means you can rescue another! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to see I'm not the only one with cats on my kitchen counter. I tell myself that its due to my wonderful cooking not my complete lack of control over them :)

Its so hard to see fosters go to their forever homes. Sending you a big hug for this bittersweet night

Debbie said...

Congradulations Doodle!!
Good things come to those who wait.
Good new is you have room for a new foster!!!!!
Good job Beth, that is why we do what we do !

House of Carnivores said...

Bittersweet indeed... but I'm happy that he went to his forever home, and to people that he's clearly happy with!

Christine Gittings said...

I can't tell you how many times I've cried when our foster kids have left for their forever homes. I keep reminding myself I have to let them go because if I don't I won't be able to foster any others. The best thing for me are the new parents who send me updates!

Lisa said...

I'm sooooooooo glad it worked out so well!
This is why I think I could only offer forever home rather than foster. I'd struggle too much giving them up. I'd be thinking surely they couldn't love the kitty as much as me because I simply love them to pieces!
Your happy ending reminds me of the positive side of fostering. You clearly provided a safe loving haven for Doodle until his true family got around to finding him. :)

Crystal said...

Ahhhhhh...so happy for Doodle and so sad for you. I am getting ready to put my 3 little muchkins profiles up and I cannot bring myself to push the send button...no one will ever love them as much as I do:) I think I feel even more quilt at the thought of the kittens having to be separated; I couldn't help but get teary eyed watching Clementine and Doodle together. In regard to fostering my husband keeps asking "if it hurts so much why are you doing this?" my response was "it hurts more not to:)" Congratulations on being so brave and being able to let him "go"!

Anonymous said...

Delighted for Doodle but a little sad for you :-) It's always so tough when the little monkeys leave for their forever homes (even though, of course, you're always happy for them!).

The fact that Doodle clearly 'picked' his new owners must help a lot though :-) I hope they stay in touch with you :-)

Cindy, Bertie, Sammy, Malley and Batman

Caroline said...

At least your adoptions actually pan out, I've had 2 cancelled adoptions for Bella! Looks like I'm gonna have to shave her when I'm back from vacay cause the hair is driving me nuts!