Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Victory!

Wow! I can't tell you how good it feels to title this blog post "VICTORY!" The remaining four cats at the Shelter From Hell were rescued this morning and taken to our veterinary clinic. They've been spayed, neutered, flea treated, and dewormed. Tonight, they'll be loved and kissed as they should've been since they were babies.

The emails and comments that came in from yesterday's blogpost kept me in a state of "almost crying" all evening. I sat in front of my computer and watched the miracles unfold one at a time until all 4 cats had a place to go.

The miracle gets even better: One big grey and white fluffy tomcat is going to a FOREVER home tonight. Many hugs and thank you's to Jamie who had been searching for a cat in need and seized the opportunity. She heard about the plight of these cats through an email chain asking for help. I was on the phone with her at 10:45 pm last night making sure this guy would be going to a good home. It wasn't just a good home - it's a GREAT home. He's a really lucky fella.

I've received some donations for the cats from complete strangers. I'm overwhelmed and full of joy tonight.

Because this shelter is 90 minutes from my house, I feel badly that I don't have rescue pictures for you tonight. It's just too far away to buzz over and snap pictures. Two other dedicated volunteers picked up the cats and drove them to the vets. I'm picking them up from the vets tonight and meeting SIX excited foster parents at a Wendy's parking lot in Toronto. MMmm....maybe I'll bring my camera :)

When Jenn (a rescue volunteer) went to the "Hell Shelter" this morning, 4 new cats were already there, already sitting in their own poop, with no food and no water. These cats were brought in as strays, so they have to sit there in their own filth for 5 days until they're permitted to go. There are 3 others that can leave the shelter now.

I'm going back to this shelter on Thursday or Friday to rescue and take a video and more detailed pictures of this place. I heard something today about this shelter that made my skin crawl. I'm going to need some help with this, as I'm not sure what to do with this information.

More tomorrow....

In the meantime? Sleep well knowing y'all rock my world! Thank you for your care, love and support for these precious little felines. :)

10 comments:

The Lee County Clowder said...

You mean people are STILL putting cats in that shelter?? arrrggghhhh

Talk about being slow learners.

House of the Discarded said...

Lee County: Believe it or not, Animal Control has a FREE pick up service. Don't want your cat anymore? They'll pick it up for you! I don't think the public ever walks into that place - or not very often.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

We all needed to hear this good news. A big hug to everyone who got the word out. I only hope the ones who come in after are saved and this place becomes public knowledge.

God bless everyone who came forward. We definately can do something.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That is a big hooray!!! Between Twitter, Facebook and my blogs I have 11,500 friends so let me know if you need something tweeted. I really admire all you do to help the sweeties.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Wonderful news about the 4 kitties and the homes you've found for several cats. What a wonderful network to do so much in so little time.

From your comment above, it sounds like Lee County needs to become aware of the the condition of the shelter and the "care" of the animals while there.

Unfortunately, many probably won't care but those who do would probably make enough of a fuss to change things. Hopefully?

House of the Discarded said...

Brian: Thank you for the reminder! I'm going to need those Tweets VERY soon!

-B

CanuckPet said...

I can always post to some major boards and send emails to everyone at work (15k people in the GTA alone), just let me know

siouxee said...

Thank you! This made me cry as I read every line. I felt so helpless last night thinking about these babies in need. I wish I was back in Toronto helping you with all of this, Beth. But maybe this can also cheer you (and me) up! Before I left Toronto, I adoted a kitty from the TCR. She desperately needed a home, and now she is with me in Finland. I adopted her just a couple of months before leaving Canada. She now is my other cat's best friend/sister, and my dog's playmate as well :)

Caroline said...

Congrats Beth on another great rescue, kudos to everyone that helped. Go to the media with your info, that's the only way to get change.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Makes me wonder if the public in that area knows of the conditions...Our shelter wouldn't be in the fantastic shape it's in if a few (like 7 people) hadn't started screaming about the condition it was in to all of their friends, neighbors, co-workers and anyone else that got within hearing distance. change can't begin if no one knows a change needs to be made.