Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Still Glowing

I think I'm becoming an emotional old gal. After the "victory rescue" yesterday, I picked up the 8 cats rescued from the Hell Hole Shelter and met with all the foster families last night at a familiar Wendy's parking lot. Watching everybody get out of their cars with their empty carriers gave me an emotional lift like I hadn't felt in ages.

Some of the foster parents were over-the-moon excited to take their new house guests home, and others gave me "My husband is going to kill me for taking another foster cat and I hate you Beth" look. :) Regardless, my heart was filled with such joy that nothing can really compare to it.

As I posted yesterday, one of the cats was going to a FOREVER home right away. He was a sweet fluffy grey guy that smelled like tomcat pee, and had been sitting in his own poop for days. He had been neutered several hours earlier, so he was like a drunken sailor and even had a little drool coming from his mouth. Poor guy was COVERED in old flea poop on top of everything else. There was no time to make him presentable for his new Mom. I had set up a "driving train" of several volunteers last night to get him to his new Mommy. I was sorry I didn't get to meet this lady.

Imagine my delight when the following email came in last night after I got home from his new Mom: (edited for length)

"I just wanted you to know that the handsome guy... now named Jupiter, is home safe and has made quite the mark already! He is very, very talkative and extremely affectionate! He loves his new temporary room and already has a favorite spot on my bed right where I sleep.... that's OK I'll take the other side ;) As I type he is purring away in my old spot on the bed! He has quite the motor on him, and I don't think he has stopped purring since he got here! It took him about 5 minutes to look around and make this his home. I left him to get him some fresh water and he was waiting for me at the door when I came back and welcomed me with a big meow. He is just amazing. He loves to rub up against you and get lots of love. He is quite the cuddler! And he has even had some fun playing with some of the toys! ...Thanks again for everything... I already can't imagine my life without, Jupiter. I think this was meant to be!"

Attached, was this picture:

If you had been there to see the sh*thole this darling little guy came from, you would understand why I burst into tears when I saw this beautiful picture.

I know I said I had more stuff to talk about regarding this shelter. It's nothing that can't wait. I still feel like I need to bask in the glow of this rescue for just one more day...

I hope you understand.

14 comments:

Kea said...

Beth, it's so wonderful, absolutely heart-lifting, to see Jupiter get his forever home and be so loved and cared for already.

I remember when I adopted Chumley back in April 2001. (My first cat as an adult.) He'd been on the KHS web site for 6 weeks at that point, his photo showing a dirty and matted "teddy bear" of a cat. They partially shaved him for me and when I brought him home he seemed to say, "Aaaahhhhhhhh," and gratefully made himself comfy on the couch. Like Jupiter, he took no time at all to settle in. :-)

Unknown said...

How absolutely wonderful! These emails make it all worth it!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks, I needed that smile after the bad day in the Cat Blogosphere today. I agree with Jupiter's new Mom, it really was meant to be!

Deb said...

Bless Jupiter's new owner. I hope he gives her so much love for the rest of his life. Wonderful to hear about him and I hope they all have happy endings. You are special Beth and I understand your heart. I know that there are days that you curse the fact that you care so much but in the end I am sure that you feel so fortunate to be able to help these cats. You are a great person. Hugs, Deb =^..^=x5

Phyllis said...

Hi,
I found you through a blog I visit. I've been involved with dog/cat rescue for many years and can relate to this post. The gray and white kitty looks a lot like my Smudge, who came from the woods when he was barely 4 weeks old. He's huge and gorgeous now.

Thanks for all you do for the animals.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Definitely understand!

Everycat said...

That picture of Jupiter totally rocks, there's no mistaking a relieved cat.

Best of luck for Friday Beth!

Whicky Wuudler

Everycat said...

That picture of Jupiter totally rocks, there's no mistaking a relieved cat.

Best of luck for Friday Beth!

Whicky Wuudler

Daisy said...

I wish Jupiter and his new mom a lifetime of love and happiness together!

Anonymous said...

Yay to Jupiter's new mom who agreed to take him in as a forever pet. I hope she sends you another picture or two of Jupiter in the future.

Marg said...

That is so wonderful about Jupitor. You should be very proud. It is always so much fun to hear good news. And we are glad you got some other ones out of that shelter. That is just terrific. I can't say enough.
Have a great day.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Ah yes, that is a cat at "home". Hope she sends updated pictures as he becomes better filled out and more comfortable. Although, he does look pretty comfy right there, right now.~Donna

Anonymous said...

awwww made me cry...nice to see happier endings
Sandy

Caroline said...

I just had a funny picture in my mind of a reserved parking spot for "The Rescue Lady" at the Wendy's! lol