Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saturday Afternoon Cuteness

I realize that I often post about urgent matters at the shelter. But today was a lazy Saturday that involved nothing more than going to Cora's for lunch, doing a kitten midwife phone consult for a Mom cat in labour, and coming home to find my 3 foster cats looking insanely cute.

"Steve" has decided he really likes this cat house and gives any cat that comes near him a little swipe. He's such a doll.


Many people ask me how my foster cats adapt to my house. "Buckley" is a good example of an "instant pet". You'd never know that he was in a cage on death row yesterday by looking at this picture. He's the same age as "Steve" and twice as big....gotta love those Maine Coon boys!

I know this sounds horribly selfish, but I feel really sad that Truman is now healthy enough to go back on the rescue website. He had a terrible cold and we took him off the site so that he wouldn't receive adoption calls. He's well now and as ornery as ever. He found a fake sheepskin rug in my bedroom on the window seat and claimed it as his own.

So that's it! My Saturday afternoon. I'm going to round up a few cats and take a nice nap before heading out for dinner.

I'm not sure why I bothered to get dressed today :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that Truman has moved into your bedroom, do you really think he's going to leave :)

House of the Discarded said...

Steve: You're killing me here! LOL

Lisa said...

I admire you for being able to let the cats go to other homes.
Once they're in my home, it's so hard. I'm like the dad with the shotgun questioning the boy taking his daughter out on a date.
I gave up one to an incredibly good home (ranch house with an atrium with owner working from home office missed having a cat to hang out with)and I did so only because the foster cat and my own cat HATED each other to the point of injury.
I could probably find a home for my recent 'find' if I put in effort, but despite horrific cat allergies, I think he'll be mine.
Part of the problem is that my cat does not like any other cats in the house and she's really stressed, so once she's used to someone, I'm loathe to go through the whole process again.

House of the Discarded said...

Lisa: It's really hard to let the majority of them go. But as soon as one leaves, I'm back at the shelter rescuing another to take his place. It's definitely a rollercoaster of emotions.

Once in a while I foster a cat where I'm REALLY relieved he's been adopted. LOL :)

The ONLY people that can foster are people who will end up getting hurt when the cat is adopted. But if we don't help - who will step forward for these cats?

Anonymous said...

I think I've done well -- I've only kept two so far; one adult and one kitten. I'm actually relieved when the adults get adopted, because they're much harder to place. Kittens are pretty easy (except for the black ones, unfortunately).

whitesocks said...

That's a great way to look at it, House of the D!

And that's exactly what I (gently) tell both myself and others when we're grieving the loss of our beloved pets. That it would be wonderful if they could live as long as us, but sad at that is, this is a way for us to share our love with so *many* little creatures who need it :).