Friday, April 24, 2009

"Toby"


I was at the shelter last week when Toby first arrived at the shelter. He was in the "new arrivals" holding area and looking rather relaxed and interested in the comings and goings of the shelter.

His owner had been in an assisted living arrangement with Toby until she became ill and had to move into Hospice.
In one day, Toby lost his "Mom" and his home, as the nursing staff brought Toby to the shelter.
Within a few days, he looked like the picture that you see. He became very depressed, and knew that his life had changed for the worse. I'm sure Toby wondered what had happened. Did he do something wrong?

Thankfully, a volunteer stepped forward to offer a place for Toby to start his life over. It was a great privilege for me to drive all the way back out to the shelter just for Toby. Taking him out of the cage and kissing his little face made me smile like I haven't smiled in a long time. I rescued 20 cats yesterday, but it didn't compare to rescuing Toby.

Thank you Heather (and her Mom too!) for meeting me today to pick up Toby. It was really wonderful to watch you drive off with Toby. You were both smiling like you had the best present in the world.

I think Toby feels the same way. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you got Toby out of there. His pic really tugged at my heart, but as I am overloaded and could not take another adult or senior cat, I felt I could do nothing. Thanks to the adopter who saved me from his haunting visage, but I will remember cats like him when I find my energy to fight for them all waning...