Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hearts and Kisses

Happy Valentine's Day!
 I grabbed this picture from the kind folks at Annex Cat Rescue - pretty cute, eh?   Of course, it's a tabby and I'm in love :)

Today was a busy day!  I had a meeting at an Animal Services location and drove to a different shelter to do a rescue.  My intent was to pick up a very cute orange and white guy for a new foster Mom.  It's funny how things don't always work out the way we think they should.

The new foster Mom is a lively 86 year old lady that really wanted to foster an orange and white cat from the shelter.  She was quite specific. :)  I felt awful when I got to the shelter and found the orange and white guy I intended to rescue was very very nippy. 

The staff directed me to a fat 4 year old grey girl who had been at the shelter since October.  She was depressed and VERY loving.  Her chubby little body had dandruff from stress and dry skin.  She needed love and lots of it. 

She was PERFECT for this senior lady!!

As I drove a very distressed "Tabitha" to her new foster Mom, I prayed silently she wouldn't poop, pee or barf in her carrier.... When we arrived, "Tabitha"  confidently trotted around the apartment and obediently flopped at her foster Mom's feet for belly rubs.  My heart was full and happy.  But would she like the chubby grey girl?

 I carefully thanked her for saving Tabitha as she gently pat the cat's chubby belly.  She looked up at me with tears in her eyes and said, "I think we saved each other".

I think so too. :)

Happy Valentines' Day

14 comments:

Tina said...

That brought happy tears to my eyes Beth. What a wonderful Valentine's day story :-)

peewee22 said...

What a wonderful, heartwarming story. I hope they are very happy together. Happy Valentine's Day.

Fuzzy Tales said...

What a sweet story, Beth. I have a thing for chubby grey tabbies -- given that Derry is one. LOL. I hope "Tabitha" blossoms under this woman's care. How fabulous that at 86 she's not only still able to care for herself, but is able to care for another Being as well. I hope I'll be able to say the same, should I live to be 86.

Sparkle said...

Now, THAT is an awesome Valentine's Day story!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww....that is so sweet...brings a tear to my eyes too! Happy Valentine's Day!

Random Felines said...

awwwww - that is great. We know Tabitha is in good hands!!

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

it often is the one you weren't expecting to work out that is just the right fit :) So glad it worked out.

btw, did you see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzKU8nj4M_Y

Anonymous said...

Valentines Day philosophy - Boy friends come and boy friends go but my kitty always loves me! :)

Caroline said...

Awww so cute!

Anya said...

A most wonderful story!

Trabb's Boy said...

Oh, you warm my heart. I just found your blog looking up "rescue cats toronto" on Google and I love all your stories.

We're planning to get two kittens this spring -- kittens because I want to give my kids the joy of having kittens, but I've convinced my husband to take a Mom (or other adult cat authority-figure type) too. Is Annex the place to go for this? I looked on Kijiji, and it just looks like there are a million people breeding cats for money out there. I don't want to encourage that.

I admire what you do. I'm sure the heartwarming stories make up for the heartbreaking ones, but I don't think I could do it. You're good people.

House of the Discarded said...

Trabb's Boy: There are some awesome Cat Rescue organizations in the GTA! Our rescue is called Forever Home Cat Rescue: www.ForeverHomeCatRescue.com . You can also go to Petfinder.com and search. Good for you for wanting to adopt rescued kittens.

All the best!

Beth

Amanda said...

I am so happy for Tabitha, everyday I tried to give her so many hugs and kisses but it was never enough. This story brought a lot of happy tears to my eyes. What a happy ending.

Anonymous said...

Just visited Fuzzy Tails for the first time - there does not seem to be an e-mail address there - hope Kim will see this - I find it comforting.


Poem For Cats
And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.
Author Unknown

Harpuur's Mom