Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Stuff

I called today "Business Development Day".  I know that might ruffle a few feathers to those who think rescuing cats isn't really a business, but I beg to differ.  I spend countless hours per week in administrative duties.  I am accountable to Revenue Canada (Canadian IRS) for what I do and how I receive and spend the rescue's money.  Yes, it's a business alright. 

Our adoptions over the weekend were wonderful and I'm actually finding myself with available foster space!  Discovering available foster space is like winning the lottery.  Finding out that the foster home can take TWO is like winning the lottery - twice! 

Looks like I'm going to be going back out to the shelter.  There's lots of juggling to do, as I have foster parents that need to move cats, and we're leaving Petsmart for the month.  Lots of planning to insure everybody is where they're supposed to be.  It's never a good thing to over-rescue. 

Wish I had something exciting to report today, but alas, it was quiet with some adoption calls and a couple of lovely adopters who were having trouble integrating their new kittens with their current cats.  I really like giving counsel to knew adopters.  It's tough to bring home a new sweet kitten only to have the current cat hiss, growl and act like a jerk.  

I've definitely worked my 8 hour day today and don't have much to show for it.  That's not always a bad thing.  In fact, it feels kind of normal.  I like *normal*.

1 comment:

Random Felines said...

Normal is good. We are glad adopters call for advice - we have seen some of our shelter cats come back because people don't take enough time and have enough patience to work out integration problems. Don't understand why so many people think you can bring home a new animal, let it out and expect everything to be perfect. :)