Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Crawling Out For a Better Day

When the phone rang in the middle of the night two nights ago, it's never good news.  My 16 year old granddaughter had gone to the corner market in the middle of the day and never returned.  In her bedroom was her purse and wallet that she had left behind.  She also left behind a 2 month old baby (she dearly loves) that made me a 49 year old great-grandmother in July.  The police were called and I was left wondering if I would end up identifying a body. 

Making a long story short, she's safe and at home now.  She decided to sneak away for a few hours with a friend, but once she felt a bit of teenage freedom, she just couldn't go back home and face her responsibilities.  The police brought her home late last night.  We're all grateful, but an emotional mess.

For me, getting back to doing something normal today was going to be harder than I thought. I found myself missing highway exits, forgetting names, and a simple bank password.  

But I did go back to the shelter for a rescue today.  I hadn't been there in more than 2 weeks, and left with several adorable kittens when I intended to only take one.  :)  A staff member approached me to help with a special boy that she had taken off the euthanasia list - twice:

If you can help this adorable tabby fellow, please let me know.  He's such a snuggler and he's almost over his upper respiratory infection.
I decided to take this video inside "the sick room".  Some people believe that this shelter only kills the cats and doesn't medicate or help them.  This isn't true.  There's an entire room dedicated to helping the sick guys through URI.  Unfortunately, if the shelter becomes too full, this room is one of the first one cleaned out.

One of the kittens I rescued is a 16 week old brown tabby baby that I've named "Leonard".  I'm hoping he'll be a buddy to The Sherminator and praying he doesn't pick up The Sherminator's raccoon-like behaviour.  He's adorable beyond belief and every inch a "Turner".  I love him already.  God help me.

There's lots of catching up to do.  I rescued, picked up cats from a foster home, took cats to the vets and on to Petsmart.  I accomplished lots today, but still needed a volunteer to help me with phones and emails so I could finish it all!   Still lots to do tonight, but will catch up quickly. 

If I were a drinker, I'd probably have a big ol' glass of wine tonight.  Instead, I'll settle for some iced tea and a few hours of thoughtful gratitude. 


Anonymous said...

Whoa Beth, I cannot begin to imagine the emotional rollercoaster you've been on these last few days!

I'm glad your granddaughter is back home safe and sound and that the baby has got its mother back.

And getting Sherman a buddy? Really? You must be a glutton for punishment....Sherman will probably lure him over to the dark side without so much as a by your leave.... ;-)

Cindy, Bertie, Sammy, Malley, Batman and Garth

Debbie said...

Glad to hear all has turned out well for your family, such a relief!!
Sometimes we all need to get away from it all.Next time she knows she will have to let people know
where she is.
Enjoy your iced tea. Put your feet up and watch the new Glee tonight!!

Devon said...

I'm glad she's home safe and sound!

About that little guy...Mya needs a buddy, do you know if he likes other kitties???

Anonymous said...

Oh Beth, how terribly stressfull for you all. Sometimes we all just need to get away, hell I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and sometimes I wouldn't mind running away too...and I am 34! But it all turned out well, that is all that matters.

So I must ask, is the Sherminator a permanent fixture now??? or are you still "trying" to find him a home?? LOL

Sparkle said...

Wow, I can only imagine how frantic you must have been! I'm so glad your granddaughter finally came home - being a 16-year-old new mom probably overwhelmed her (not that that is any excuse for her running off like that).

Looking at the comments, it seems like there might be an adopter for the boycat in the shelter, but I will post about him too on Facebook, just in case.

Debbie said...

This little kitty looks very similar to one we are rescuing this week who was also pulled from the euth list. It's a female though, her name is Haley? Could this be the same cat? She was marked for today but they pulled her for us.

House of the Discarded said...

Debbie: WOW! WOuldn't that be wonderful? I *think* this is a boy, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

House of the Discarded said...

Sarah: You're killing me! I have to find this guy a home....but not just any home. LOL Are you applying? Hahhaa


Random Felines said...

Well that is a whole new level of scary......

Glad everyone is safe.

Anonymous said...

The cat in the video looks like Romeo to me not Haley.

Chrissykat said...

A baby with a baby...so scary and no doubt a huge transition in her teenage life. So happy that there was a happy ending.

Your new rescue is nothing but adorable. Hope you enjoyed that iced tea. True calm comes from within, not from a glass of wine anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

Devon....he has shown no dislike to cats. He is about 8 months old. He doesn't look very well in the video but when he first came in he was fluffy and he is always purring when he snuggles.