Monday, December 06, 2010

"Delilah"

I don't believe in coincidences.  There's nothing better when "accidents" turn into an extraordinary turn of events.
When I received an email from "Jakob" he indicated that he would like to adopt an easy going cat for his busy family with two younger children.  Toddlers are a daunting problem for most cats, so finding the right fit for a cat matchmaker like me can be difficult. 

I sent Jakob a few pictures including a video of the shelter, so he knows the plight of the animals and where the cat is coming from.  I guess in my haste, I ended up sending him the wrong video.  It wasn't a video of the shelter, but a video I recently posted with an unknown black cat that I gave a new donated "blankie".


Jakob said he watched the video with his 4 year old daughter who immediately became enamoured with "Delilah".  In fact, his wife said she LOVES black cats.  Everybody fell in love with Delilah.  But the question for me would be:  "Was Delilah a good family cat?"


I went to the shelter this morning and picked up Delilah.  She purr'd in my arms while Kim and I set her down on the floor.  She immediately flopped over for belly rubs while I roughly (like a Toddler might) rubbed her belly and gently pulled her tail.  She didn't care....she wanted love and more of it!

Delilah was PERFECT!

Feeling a bit like Santa, I delivered my little black package into the city this afternoon and Jakob was thrilled with Delilah.  She made herself right at home and mew'd at his feet when we walked into the kitchen.  She knew that's a good spot for cats to eat!  She happily trotted around the house and came back to rub against Jakob's legs.  She disappeared upstairs to sniff around, so I figured it was my time to leave before rush-hour traffic.  What happened next still gives me goosebumps:

I put on my jacket and shook Jakob's hand.  I gently called out,  "Bye Delilah...be a good girl!"  On those words, Delilah came bolting downstairs and slid into my legs.  She rubbed and rubbed against my legs as I patted her.  Then she stopped and looked up into my eyes.  She didn't just "look up".  She looked DEEP into my eyes and I felt the "thank you".  I haven't felt that deep communication from a cat in a long time and I could feel my eyes well with tears. 

Everything would be OK for Delilah.  I could feel it.  It wasn't a coincidence that this little scrawny black cat with missing patches of hair found a home.  It was nothing short of a miracle.  Ask Delilah.  :)

15 comments:

Caroline said...

"Hey there Delilah, aren't you glad you left that city, you're a millions miles away and looking so pretty..."

Unknown said...

*goosebumps*

Hooray for Deliah!

Emsworth Girl said...

Yeah Delilah, i hope you got to take you new mat with you as well. LUcky girl. Miracles do happen!

Deb said...

ok - Now I'm crying but it's a good cry. I love to see a cat rescued, any cat, any colour, any age. God bless you. You are the best!

Sparkle said...

Wow. That is pawsome!

nicole said...

Wow I have tears in my eyes from your story Beth! Merry Christmas Delilah and welcome to your new home!

Mycatsayshi said...

Oh I am all teary-eyed. What a beautiful story!

Debbie said...

Tears of joy!!!
Merry Christmas Delilah !

Robyn said...

Great story! I love happy endings :)

Crystal said...

This is "THE BEST" Christmas story EVER:) thank you so much for sharing...Dreams really do come true! Wishing Jakob, Delilah and their wonderful family a very special holiday!

Great work Beth!

Cheers

House of Mystery said...

Home... Looks like Delilah found hers.

Lisa said...

What a wonderful kitty-karma story! You made my day with that story, Beth!

AFSS said...

YES!!!! for Delilah. Somethings are just meant to be.

Brandon said...

Amazing. We need an after picture for Deliah.

Anonymous said...

TEARS! Happy tears though Beth!