Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rise Above It and Move On

First, I want to thank everyone for opening my eyes to the potential dangers from the neighbours next door. It never occurred to me that they would harm my babies, but - y'all are absolutely right - if someone is willing to poison a squirrel, why wouldn't they harm my cats too? (Yes, I feed squirrels too!)

The good news is - they left this morning for the UK for the month of August. I have an entire 30 days to get things in order for when they come back.

Initially, I killed them with kindness. (I only had 7-8 minutes talking with them) They're gardeners and in my best "snow white" voice asked if they would help me with choosing some fast growing ivy to grow over the cat den. Her answer? "I told my husband when I saw that *thing* (points to cat den)...they're either wealthy or stupid."

I've decided that "all bets are off". I don't think being sweet is going to amount to anything. That's not like me. I'm usually the one that thinks "You get more bees with honey, than you do with vinegar." (I can feel my Grandma smiling at me from heaven for saying one of her quotes.)

I don't trust people who "hate animals". There. I said it.

I'm ready to get on with the business of rescuing again. I still have many boxes to unpack, but my kitchen is set up, toilet paper is on the roll and litterboxes are being used - all the basics are in place and I'm missing the rescue.

What a mistake to go on the shelter website and see these two little guys:

They're scheduled to be euthanized. I don't know if they'll make it through the vet day tomorrow or not. I feel so out of touch.

It's time to rise above the pettiness next door and remember who I am and what I love to do.

...and if those old farts next door don't like it - screw 'em.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez, those two little guys are adorable. Let us know if they make it or not, and hopefully you can get them on your next rescue list.

Joanne said...

I would report your neighbours to Animal Services or the local humane society. Poisoning animals is definitely animal cruelty and I am pretty sure it is illegal. Stop trying to be nice. You cannot win over people like that. They are trying intimidation on you and the only way to combat that is to be more intimidating. Just go ahead and report them and if they threaten you or your animals in any way, report them to the police. That should shut them the hell up. What a pile of aholes.

Ashley W. said...

Your new cat den is looking fantasitc!!! I'm sure the kitties will LOVE their new digs... I mean what cat wouldn't!

I can't believe though how your neighbours have been reacting to the cat's den!!! It's not like your running a drug grow-op next door! My goodness. Some people will find a way to complain about anything! Hopefully, this will be the most that you'll ever hear from them!

Congrats on the new move!

Note: I wasn't meaning that you'd even consider anything AT ALL like that.. but was using it as a giant worst-case-scenario comparison to your tiny and non-threatening cat enclosure! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Yet another reason I like cats more than people. Hang in there and they'll get over it. The cat den is lovely.

Anonymous said...

The cat den looks magnificent and I for one am rather jealous! I am also jolly ashamed to be British (well, married to a Brit and lived there for a number of years before moving here) after what you've said about your neighbours... They sound absolutely awful (Glad to say that they are not representative of the majority of Brits, in my opinion)

My heart goes out to those little guys...I hope they make it.

Anonymous said...

Awww those two are sooo cute. Ack :(

Anonymous said...

It's Thursday - did the kittens make it?

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: I don't know. I'm afraid to ask.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

Look into a silverlace vine...it's very fast growing. Love the cat den....my "kids" would love to have one of those. The beautiful little orange kittens are still on the shelter list as of 6:00 Thurs. I hope they make it...I love the orange guys.

Anonymous said...

Beth - they're still on the website. Does that mean they're (temporarily) safe?

House of the Discarded said...

It could mean two things:

1) They are still alive, but marked for euthanasia tomorrow.

2) The site has not been updated and they're already gone.

I'm praying for #3:

3) Somebody calls me and says they'll foster them and they're still alive.

Lisa said...

Fingers crossed for the kitties.
Love the kitty den.
Wait until Xmas when the neighbour is putting out her Xmas decorations and tell her "I told my husband when I saw those decorations...they're either wealthy or stupid."
Make good friends of all the other neighbours who probably hate her guts anyway...and invite them all over for a BBQ.