Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Pearl, Spirit and 3 Days at the Shelter

When Pearl first arrived at the shelter she was a beautiful, white, girl with 7 toes on each foot. I remember when she came in at the end of May. She was engaging and at the front of the cage. It didn't take long for Pearl to look like this:That's what happens when they sit in a shelter cage. Pearl lost everything - her family and her home. She became ill at the shelter and the staff tried so hard to save her life despite the fact the the shelter was very overcrowded. Pearl recovered and the staff waited for rescue.

I rescued Pearl yesterday and her foster Mom sent me the following picture. Pearl had been out of the shelter for 4 hours when this picture was taken:

Yeah. I cried when I got the picture. :)

"Spirit" is another sweetie pie that I fell in love with at the shelter. It's no surprise to those who read this blog that I love the big butterball cats. Spirit was no exception:

Spirit was so big she didn't fit into a cat cage, so they had to put her in a large dog run:

I was so excited when a favourite foster Mom contacted me and said she had a friend who would foster Spirit! I drove all the way out to the shelter that day just to get her. I couldn't let my girl stay one more day in that cage!
Spirit was struttin' her stuff coming out of that cage. I'm looking forward to getting some new pictures of her from the foster family. (Did I mention that I love that little girl?)

The following are some pictures I VERY quickly snapped at the shelter yesterday. I was overly emotional yesterday because it was the day before the vet came to euthanize them. I'm happy to report that the cats in the pictures below are still alive - although not for too much longer. I thought these were good pictures that represent what *I* see every time I go there to do a rescue.




While I was at the shelter on Monday, somebody left a box at the front door. I took a picture of the actual box and put a can of cat food next to it so you could see the size:

.....and in the box?


She was in the box next to her dead brother. Barely alive herself.

I didn't feel good about being part of the human race that day. I'm happy to report that the puppy will make a full recovery and will eventually find a home.
It's been a busy 3 days. I'm going to hold on to the wonderful thoughts of Pearl & Spirit - among others. I'm not sure how I'm going to find time over the next 2 weeks to do as much rescue with my move coming on so quickly. But I'll have to manage.

They need me. They need all of us.

7 comments:

RHz said...

I firmly believe that how people treat animals is an indication of what kind of person they are. Shame on the person who left those puppies in that box. Shame on the people who keep dumping their pets. And shame on irresponsible owners who keep letting their animals reproduce!

I'm glad you were able to save those babies. Twelve polydactyl thumbs up to you, Beth, for all that you do.

RHz said...

I firmly believe that how people treat animals is an indication of what kind of person they are. Shame on the person who left those puppies in that box. Shame on the people who keep dumping their pets. And shame on irresponsible owners who keep letting their animals reproduce!

I'm glad you were able to save those babies. Twelve polydactyl thumbs up to you, Beth, for all that you do.

Anonymous said...

How sad, but happy. Bless those animals. Dont you wish you lived in an enormous mansion that you could take all of these little guys into?

Pearl is breathtaking....she will be one of those cats that gets complimented and nobody will be able to believe she sat at a shelter.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to have found this blog, and to see that some hope and happiness finds it's way into these sad animal shelters! I'm
inspired to think more seriously about fostering a rescue cat in the near future.

Windelynn said...

As usual, another great post.
Thanks for showing me around the shelter! I'm working my ass off to promote the two fosters for adoption! Hopefully if it works out,in turn i can get my rescue fix and go back to the shelter and get another 2 or 3, or 4, or 5.....
Oh god i better stop. :)

Ashley W. said...

Oh wow.. This post really stuck a nerve with me. It didn't take long for the tears to flow and that familar lump in my throat to start.

Why must people feel that animals are disposable?

It boggles my mind...

All those needy faces...

As said above, another amazing post!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say....but the little pup did not make it :( Tested positive for parvo and was being treated at the clinic but died 3 days later. We didn't get to her in time :(