Saturday, August 01, 2009

600+

I've been really looking forward to getting back to the business of rescue now that the majority of the boxes have been unpacked. Since I'm involved primarily with the fostering program and rescuing, you could've knocked me over with a feather to be informed that our rescue currently has 600+ cats in the program. Holy sh*t. Really. 600 cats.

With 600 cats, comes the responsibility of insuring they are all healthy, happy and in proper foster homes. Once I heard that number, it didn't come as much of surprise to hear the second half the news: The rescue wants to put a hiatus on rescuing the larger number of cats for the month of August just to catch up.

That means - no big rescue runs for me.

The timing is good from my prospective. It'll give me a chance to regroup and work with the cats and foster homes currently in our program.

What am I supposed to "say" to the cats that are going to die in the month of August? Sure there will still be rescues, because there will be adoptions. But there won't be the usual 35+ cats in a week rescued.

Looks like the blog posts are going to be a little different for the month of August.

I get it. But I don't like it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is too bad that you couldn't coordinate with other rescue groups that may be able to help. Lord knows there are enough of them. If each of them took a turn at taking in 30 cats a week - that's not a lot to ask but would be 120 or more little lives that could be saved.

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: I agree! Unfortunately, there are rescue groups taking the easy way out and "rescuing" from Craigslist. Rescuing shelter cats means vet bills, and more assessing of their personalities.

I wish there were more rescue groups willing to help these little guys from Hamilton Animal Control

tally oh said...

Just focus on your cat den, miss! :P

Make sure after the chaos of moving that you're taking some time to reflect on positives :)

crystal said...

Wow 600+ cats saved:) what an incredible accomplishment in cat rescue! I know my 2 adopted rescues and my 4 foster fur babies say Thank you! Thank You!

Hoping the month of August at the shelter is slow:) and a busy time for adoptions! September will be here before you know!

keep smilin...

Anonymous said...

The two little orange tabby brothers - did they make it?

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: Yes, they were rescued :)

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! Thank you so much for letting me know. I've been trying to con a friend into taking them, but it was slow going and I was worried it was too late anyway (but in a bad way, not a good way).

On the other hand, by the time I'm done convincing her there will still be loads of cats in the shelter in need of resucing.