Monday, January 04, 2010

The "Eyes" Have It

I spent the majority of my vacation visiting my parents worrying about Travis. I must've called the vet from Seattle 5 or 6 different times. The vet even called me back on a Sunday, bless his heart. I had no idea what I would do with Travis. Of course, he could come back to my house, but there were so many "what if's" with a little blind guy.

One of the best parts about being involved in animal rescue is having the opportunity to be a hero. Not just to the cats - but to people as well.

I received a Facebook message from my friend and Bucky's Daddy. Steve is one of these special people that saw an opportunity to be a hero to me AND to Travis and stepped up and offered to ADOPT my Travis! Because Travis is still in recovery with his eyes, Steve is going to foster Travis until he is well enough to be adopted...

....In other words: Travis may already be in his forever home! Oh. My. Gosh!

Me picking up Travis from the vet today. The red/cloudy look is NOT from the flash.
I took Travis over to Steve's house today. Guess who greeted me?
"Bucky"!!! Now known as "Pippin". What a treat to see my baby boy!

Steve gently picked up Travis and gave him lots of kisses. I wish ALL men knew how awesome they looked when they're kissin' and huggin' on a cat! :)


"Travis was already making friends with "Timmy"!


There were other heroes in this story. It's one thing to offer to take a foster cat, but another thing to offer to take a newly BLIND foster cat. Travis needs drops every TWO HOURS for the next week or so. It's a big commitment and I'm so grateful that Travis is in such good hands. It hurt like hell to leave him, but there's no doubt it was the best thing for him.

I've already heard from Steve - they took a nap together on the couch and Travis has played with Pippin a little bit. Ahhh... :)

As I'm typing this post, Steve sent me some pictures of Travis and his new friends:

I wonder if Travis knows he's sitting in between two dogs? Hahahaha!

The vet bills on this little guy were/are enormous. When people balk at the idea of an adoption fee of $175.00, I'm reminded that not all the cats cost the rescue only $175.00. It's going to be a LONG time before the rescue can recoup the expense of Travis.

But he's worth it :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a priceless story. Knowing that Travis is in such good hands must be so reassuring. God bless the little guy - he is so deserving of lots of love. :)

Unknown said...

What a great follow-up on Travis! Best news we could have received!!

Anonymous said...

Any update on Irma & Meyer?

Crystal said...

Beth, This is a cat fairytale! the picture of Travis sitting so proudly and confidently between two dogs speaks volumes. Steve you are amazing! These precious animals are so fortunate to have you in thier lives. To Travis you are both Hero's! Thank you for sharing such an inspirational story.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear about Travis. I have been wondering about the 2 senior cats that were adopted together, I forget their names :( did they make it ?

selkiem said...

how wonderful to read stories like this - I'm so happy for Travis and kudos to you and your wonderful support network!

Everycat said...

This is a wonderful start to 2010 for Travis and you (and hero Steve) Travis looks very happy and comfortable and I'm sure Bucky and the others will look after him well, watching out for him.

Happy New Year to you all :)

Steve Bartlett said...

Travis will definitely be staying with me. I can't believe how quickly he adapted to five other cats plus three dogs (including a golden retriever who is as dumb as a bag of hammers). He's become very friendly and playful with Pippin and Casper (my two youngest cats), and the three of them have taken over my spare bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Wow Steve sounds like such an amazing guy! He seems to have such a big heart when it comes to animals. We need more people like Steve in the world!!

Anonymous said...

Is Steve single? lol!

RHz said...

Wow, is Steve single? And near NJ? Lol.
Glad to hear Travis is going to have his happy ending and that maybe, just maybe, you can relax a little now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for being obtuse, but I didn't quite understand your post...did Travis lose both eyes or did he manage to keep the sight in one? I know you wrote at Christmas that one of his eyes had ruptured but it was still uncertain at that time if the other one could be saved.

What a little trooper he is, and you too Beth!!

Lisa said...

That last picture of Travis with the dogs is PRICELESS! He looks like he's saying "Yup...this is my 'hood...and these are my bodyguards...life is good." Thank you Beth and Steve!
2010 is going to be a good year!

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: Right now, he has NO vision in his right eye. He can see shadows with his left eye. The vet doesn't think he'll have any vision in that eye fairly soon due to scaring and possibility of another "melting ulcer" :(

Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks for explaining that. Poor little fella, I've been thinking about him a lot. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the best possible outcome we can hope for.