Friday, April 09, 2010

A Week Worth the Effort

I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm so happy to hear of the numbers rescued this week - including a HUGE rescue tomorrow. SOO excited!

I was contacted by another rescue last week and have been helping them choose cats to rescue. They're about 1 hour from the shelter, and I think they needed someone they could trust to rescue cats and give them some honest answers from the rescue's perspective - health, temperament, and adoptability.

After many emails going back and forth, they authorized me to rescue 7 cats for them today! I met one of the directors at a Tim Horton's parking lot (where else?) and these little darlings are all safe and finally out of the shelter. It felt really good. :)

Just as I was leaving for the shelter this morning, someone contacted me about adopting a kitten. They didn't have any other cats, and there were no kittens that I thought would be suitable to live the life as an "only cat". They sounded like such a nice family, so I met them at the shelter today during a regular rescue.

It was love at first sight:
This grubby, dirty, matted little guy climbed into her arms and licked her face like a dog. It still gives me goosebumps to think about it. She never looked at another cat. "Oliver" was her guy!

Tomorrow I have a very nice sounding couple coming to meet my little Radar. He took a nap with me this afternoon by the fire. I was in heaven - a kitten purring in my ear and a nap by the fireplace....*happy sigh* The couple have 3 other cats. They are truly "animal people" and I hope Radar goes home with them tomorrow.

Tonight? I'm content with the work that I've done this week. How many people get to say that about what they do?

7 comments:

Dog Foster Mom said...

Aww, I love your Oliver story - that is awesome!! And congratulations on the rescues - great job!

Crystal said...

What an incredible week:) so happy for the all of the little lives saved. Thank you Beth and to all of those who stepped up and made a difference in the lives of all of these innocent cats! Congratulations! This has been a tough week for me ( very sick foster kitty) When I felt overwhelmed and scared and ready to throw in the towell...I kept hearing your words. "You may not be able to change the world but you can make a difference one cat
at a time" This week we made a difference in the life of little Mason...more importantly he made a difference in ours:) Thank you for all of your support!

House of the Discarded said...

Crystal: Thank you! Thank you! If only I could inspire my youngest son that way. LOL

So grateful to hear about Mason. What a relief for all of us.

nicole Divitcoff said...

Awwww such a great week this has been! I wish we could see this many lives all the time!

A Cat's Tale said...

Wow! I'm thrilled you had such a great rescue week!! And that is so very awesome about Oliver!!

Most of the potential adopters I work with that want a kitten, only want to consider a kitten. While Oliver looks young, he isn't an itty bitty. His new mom will be very happy she choose an older kitten. His wonderful, loving personality that shines today is most likely the one she'll still be receiving kisses from tomorrow. It's really hard to say what those itty bitties will out grow or grow into.

Bless you Beth, you do great work. What a huge difference you make for these kitties!

Caroline said...

Hey Beth, great to read your happy blog today I had a bad animal experience today with some horse people who were neglecting a rabbit and 3 siamese cats that were housed in 2 cages infront of a trailer home! The rabbit had no food or water neither did the cats, and their litter box was disgusting. I fell apart emotionally my mom suggested they feed and water the animals, I can only hope they do and that the animals were just getting fresh air temporarily. Tonight I sent them an email telling them I cannot ride at a place that doesn't respect all of it's animals, I don't know if I will get a reply. We need our own Rescue Ink ie Big Bad Boys that can show some muscle towards those that are neglecting their pets. Please tell us who the lucky 7 were.

House of the Discarded said...

Caroline: That's disgusting! I would definitely report them to the authorities. That sounds like neglect to me. They're probably breeding these poor cats over and over. :(

The seven cats rescued were: Willow, Boots, Katy (pregnant), Noelle, Alex, Beany, and....can't remember the 7th!