Thursday, January 01, 2009

"Home" (For lack of a better title)

I started to write a post about the year in retrospect, but decided it's always better to look forward instead of muttering about the past. I've spent too many years looking back and questioning things. I want to tell all who read this blog how much I appreciate your comments and e-mails. It helps to know folks are actually reading this thing.

I had the honour of rescuing 4 awesome cats from the shelter yesterday. Three of the cats were filling the hearts of people who were grieving from the death of their beloved cat. One lady in particular was grieving after her 10 year old cat got outside and was found tortured and burned to death. I watched her bury her head into the fur of one of the cats she was adopting as she sobbed. Her friend was with her and they brought comfort to each other when this horrific event was only 3 weeks ago and in all the newspapers. The two cats she adopted didn't stand much of a chance in the shelter. They would end up dying there like the majority of them do.

This is Eddie (I would've named him "Eddie VanHalen") and one of the cats she adopted. I'm sure you'll agree that if any cat needs love - it's Eddie. She whispered in his ear with tears pouring down her face, "You don't have to be scared - you're going home."

(Update: I spoke with the adopter of these cats a few minutes ago. Both cats slept with her last night and she's in heaven. (I think that makes 3 of them)

I also drove another rescued cat into Toronto yesterday to meet up with a young woman that just lost her Himalayan to cancer. She wanted to adopt an older Himmie that was on death row at the shelter. His name was Zorro. Zorro was not a good traveler. He howled like a baby despite my efforts at putting on Frank Sinatra and singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" a hundred times. (He was quiet for a moment the first time I sang it!)

As luck would have it, the entire highway was closed and I ended up getting stuck on the road for 2 hours with Zorro....howling...and subsequently pooping in his crate. Seriously. I was 10 minutes away from my destination and the little booger pooped in his crate. It wasn't until I arrived at the meeting spot that I saw the impact the travel had on Zorro. The poor guy was drooling profusely, he had fallen over and rolled in his poop and pee.

His new Mommy wrapped him up in a towel and loved him anyway. He had a smell that only a mother could love. He was going home too.

(Update: I spoke with Zorro's new Mommy - she gave him a bath and he didn't utter a peep. He was the hit of her New Year's Eve party and slept on everyone's lap!)

My wish for 2009 would be that all the homeless pets could have homes. Although it's unrealistic to dream such a dream, I'm going to continue to do what I think I do best - save the lives of God's creatures one at a time. A special thank you to Kim and the staff at the shelter for making it possible for me to come in and rescue these little lives. Thank you for walking the walk every single day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww yea for eddie!
Tiff

RHz said...

Happy New Year...
And keep up the good work. You're a courageous and beautiful soul for doing all you do!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU Beth for helping all the cats you have helped over the years! If I had to add them all up from the first time you starting rescuing from the shelter it would be in the thousands! Without you.....I would not be working at the shelter just to stand by and let them die :(
Thank you for being you and doing what you do :)