Monday, June 20, 2011

Feeling....29?

I'm happy to report that the strike that the City workers were faced with never manifested.  Gratefully, they were able to work things out and were back on the job - business as usual.

I'm even HAPPIER to report that I am the proud rescuer of TWENTY-NINE cats today!  I'm not sure what was more surprising - that I rescued 29 cats, or that they all fit in my little car!  I contacted a fellow friend  in rescue: Abbey Cats Adoptions who put a strain on their rescue to take so many.  I called the director from the shelter and walked up and down the aisles with phone in hand.   She started the "rescue juggle" - making deals with herself...."We're having an adoption event soon...cats adopted....foster homes....yada yada yada..."  I knew the drill far too well. 

But gosh.  It felt good to rescue 29 little lives.  Thanks to this rescue, the "vet day" tomorrow will be small. 

It's so nice when two rescues can come together and work for the cats.  Sometimes it doesn't work out so well.  People lose focus and forget what kindness really is.  I don't know why this happens, but it seems to happen more and more frequently. 

Remember what Dylan Thomas said:  "When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes."

Ahhh....what an important sentence.  I know a couple of people that should tattoo that on their forehead. 

After a really crummy weekend, I'm terribly stressed today.  Will try to write more tomorrow when I've accomplished something for our own rescue.  Until then, I have lots to do. 

7 comments:

Tia and Millie said...

Beth, just wanted to let you know that I'm running a series of educational posts on my blog this week that deal with motherhood in cats. I know you don't agree with the fact that i breed, but I'm hoping that the articles will be helpful to any of your readers who find themselves maybe fostering a pregnant mum. Today and tomorrow I deal with cat genetics, then move on to preparing for the cat birth, what to expect and how you can help. http://cuddlesandcatnip.blogspot.com is the link, and I do hope you or those you work with find it useful.

Congratulations on such a big rescue today!

Debbie said...

How the h*%l did you fit that many carriers in your car????
Great job(as usual) :)

House of Mystery said...

Somehow I'm picturing your car with a trailer behind it full of cats meowing the "rescue song" as you went down the highway.

-grin-

Caroline said...

Great job!

Anonymous said...

That's great news beth! I'm so happy to hear 29 cats! I have been waiting for your blog to keep me in the loop, since I'm away this week. I recall one night kim and I loaded up my car with over 20 cat carriers. Let's just say the trip to toronto was a stinky one, but well worth it, even with the speeding ticket :)

Tiff

Renee said...

29!! Wow! Congratulations and pats on the back to everyone involved.

Random Felines said...

Good job!!!

We have to agree - sometimes we think people forget that it should be about saving the animals first. sigh....