Wednesday, September 09, 2009

I'm Still Alive!

I hate being sick. I'm not a good patient and it's such a waste of time. But unfortunately, I caught some kind of virus and have been feeling like crap for the past week. I wish I could just get really sick and get it overwith. This "almost sick, but not sick enough to stay in bed" really is the pits.

If you read my blog regularly, you might remember that very few things make me happier than rescuing either a black cat or a really fat cat. I'm happy to report that I rescued little Miss Matilda today: Matilda is 18 lbs of SWEETNESS. She had been in a dog run because she was too big for a shelter cage. Last week when I was at the shelter there was a Pot Bellied Pig in the kennel next to her. I opened up both cages and that pig was sniffin', snortin' and squealin' all around her. It even nibbled on her tail - Matilda seemed happy for the attention and purr'd up a storm. You can imagine how thrilled I was that a foster home (Thank you Caitlin!) specifically offered to take her.

Then I rescued what I call "The World's Longest Cat":

Seriously, when I opened Randolph's cage his body kept going and going and going....He's pure muscle and has the cutest white whiskers. I loved him and I knew the foster family would enjoy him too.

After being sick, it felt good to do something normal. I was pretty emotional leaving the shelter today. I made the mistake of spending far too much time lingering at the cages and made eye contact with several cats. I could feel my heart hurt.

But it looks like I'm going back to the shelter before the week is out. Adoptions have been awesome and there's some foster space available. If I keep taking my antibiotics and getting some rest, I'll be back out there by Friday!

6 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so happy about Matilda! I go to the Hamilton website regularly and she caught my attention (for obvious reasons,hAHA!) and I am so happy that your update on her is a splendid one! She looks like such a snuggle muffin! MY HEART IS HAPPY!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy news again!

RHz said...

O.M.G. I love the pretty fatty girl! So glad you got her out. And LOL to the "world's longest cat." He's quite handsome.

Hope you feel better!!

Smartypants said...

Wonderful that you are feeling better - and wonderful news about Matilda. I had fallen in love with her photo and was hoping for her rescue. Laughed out loud about "world's longest cat" haha!

caitlin said...

Tildy! Beth she is just the sweetest thing lol! Never stops purring or cuddling!
If only she would eat! D'oh!
I'm wondering if you've ever heard of the worming treatment causing a cat to not eat, and if Matilda was eating for the time she was at your home. She has eaten very little (a couple handfuls of Temptations treats) and not gone to the bathroom (unless she's pooping somewhere she's not supposed to.. hah) since arriving at our house. I did some google-ing and I read that it could be a side effect, but I'm wondering how common it is. We've tried to feed her literally everything... all different brands of wet and food, canned tuna, sandwich meat, chicken, other brands of treats. Maybe she is just ridiculously fussy? lol

What do they eat at the shelter?

Anyway other than that she's doing perfectly fine! She is just the biggest sweetheart! :D

--Caitlin

House of the Discarded said...

Caitlin: I sent you an email on this!

-B