Monday, June 01, 2009

Politics

Many of you know already about the allegations made at the Toronto Humane Society after an expose` from an awesome reporter with big balls to do it: Killing Them With Kindness . I've probably been sent the article from well meaning folks at least 2 dozen times. I'm happy to know that there are people looking into the allegations, signing petitions, etc etc.

The fact of the matter is: I'm not a political person. It's not that I don't care. I'm sure that many wrongs can be made right if only I would get involved politically.

I'm afraid that if I really dig deeper in some of this shit, I'd end up getting so ticked off that I'd quit rescuing all together. I'd rather keep plugging away and making a difference one animal at a time. I don't care if it's a dog, cat, squirrel or guinea pig.

Sure what happened at Toronto Humane Society is horrible - if it's all true. I'm sorry to see that they took pictures of dog poop all over the cages. Anybody who has pets knows that a mess like that can happen shortly after you clean.

Needless to say, I think there are two sides to every story and I reserve judgment until I see all the facts. You won't see me with a picket sign outside of THS. If I let cats die at the shelter because I'm out picketing, I'm no better than some of the imbeciles at THS.

Sure this is short-term thinking. But you go into the shelter and tell the cats they're being put to sleep because *I* have to picket downtown.

Bah. I just don't have the time for that crap. But I'm sure grateful that there are some who do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one who makes time for all that crap because it's the long term solution to the pet neglect problems. Short term is rescue that kitty NOW. We do need both. I hope we see a followup protest and media attention on the Hamilton situation. We rescuers need to strive to be put out of business by changing policies - and that takes politics.

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: Agreed! You're focusing in on longer term solutions. I'm so glad somebody is out there doing that.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that the situation at Hamilton is much different than what goes on at any municipal shelter/animal control facility. They have to euthanize because of the pet over population problem. The root cause of ALL these problems is enforcing and providing mandatory spay/neuter clinics or affordable options for those that cannot afford the high cost to spay today. You have to address the root cause before you go bashing the doors down on any facility. And yes that will require a political solution, one that is supported by local municipalities to get on the spay/neuter band wagon, which in the long term would substantially reduce costs and lesson the burden on the taxpayer. The desired result would be less spent on vetting, including euthanizing due to a decrease in shelter animals in exchange for affordable spay/neuter options that joe public can access.

Anonymous said...

What shocks me is that I was under the impression that the SPCA gets tons of funding in comparison to a shelter for animal control...

Anonymous said...

Someone wise once said to me "We screen our adopters because...well...the cats are going to die staying there, but there are some things that are worse than death". I would hope to God that is observed by most workers.

whitesocks said...

I just want to say: thank you for all the amazing work you do, Beth. You do more, much MUCH more, than so many of us...and no-one should ever forget that or imply that you should be doing something else. I am so glad you are clear in your own head as to your priorities.

Yes, activist work is very important too, and I am so glad there are people who care enough to do it, just as you care enough to do what you do. We're all in this together, us animal people, hoping to make the world a better place, each in his or her own way.