Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Aftermath


It's been a weird few days without being part of the rescue. I've spent $500.00 on crap I didn't need, cleaned out some cupboards, put some free stuff on Craigslist, and watched t.v. for 4 hours yesterday - DURING THE DAY! (God, I love Judge Judy - she has just the right amount of bitchiness.) Seriously, no wonder people who retire have such a hard time at first. I went from 60 to 0 in 1.2 seconds.

Until I recently, I didn't know there was good t.v. on from 6:30 pm until 10 pm. . I've always been on the phone or behind the computer. David and I have been walking the dog more and I feel my blood pressure going down. (is that possible?)

It's been sad watching my little rescue from afar. I tried to log onto the foster list so that I could call a friend for coffee only to find that they changed my password. Gosh...they changed my password on everything. Even the rescue phone line that I'm still paying for and that rings into my own house! Shame on them. I trusted them enough to have carte blanche use of my personal credit card for 4 years. But they cut me out of the rescue's life within 12 hours of my resignation. What did they think I was going to do? This isn't eff'ing IBM, for heaven's sake. Petty behaviour. I have no time for it in my life. Maybe it was too much to ask for folks to be civil. (End "Jaded bitter rant")

My cats seem VERY happy to have me home more. Ozzy is still peeing on things, but at least I'm cleaning it up faster. hahaha. I think David is enjoying better dinners and a less tired wife. In fact, we're going downtown Saturday night to see A Chorus Line. We're leaving at noon on Saturday to a swanky spa and having a couples massage, dinner out, then the theatre and then we're staying the night at a lovely hotel downtown. Tres Romantique! (Why do I try to spell french stuff?)

I'm going to reserve judgment as to whether or not my life's improved. For now, I'm having a ball, and I deserve every moment of fun. I think I'll continue to write in my blog for a while. You never know where life will take me and with 8 "Discarded Cats" in my home, there's always something to write about.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What no one seems to realize is that every volunteer organization needs someone in charge who can foster a feeling amongst it's members that they are just a good bunch of friends with a common interest. You did that. Sadly this one is now making people feel like unpaid staff. In the end it will be the abondoned cats who suffer the most

Fred said...

Hi Beth, you came by my blog so I thought I'd drop by yours. I haven't read all of it yet but from what I have read, I guess you've been going through some political troubles. I'm really sorry to hear that. It's hard to understand how sometimes things don't work out even when everyone's trying to work together to reach the same goal.

Anonymous said...

This is so unfortunate. I can't believe you are leaving, I shudder to think of how the rescue will be run. I can only see it going into the ground. You were the reason why the rescue was successful, you were the one who held it together. God help them now.

Anonymous said...

My friend just called me and said to read your blog. We have both adopted from the rescue and I too can't believe you are leaving ! If it wasn't for you we would not have adopted from ACR, we had been at some adoptathons and I can't even begin to put into words how we were treated by one of your foster homes. There was a girl there who was a foster home she lived in Niagara Falls, she was a delight and restored our faith in the rescue. We also met you that day at Petsmart and just in the nick of time as we had been treated so very rudely. I am just happy my friend and I adopted our cats before this happened. May God Bless You.

Anonymous said...

OMG Beth - I sent an email, now I read your blog and am horrified. WTF?

I'm going to post my email to all so they can see it - I met Beth when she ran Abandoned Cats Rescue - I feel "in limbo" - I need a rescue to support - I hope, Beth, you can guide me on that...

"I've been an Abandoned Cat Rescue member for (I have no idea how long.) I have fostered at least 25 cats that I remember - sometimes it's a blur.

But I think it is so important to recognize Beth's work and dedication. She was the one who brought me into the organization. I have watched her "first hand" convince skeptical adopters that it was "okay" to adopt that cat.

Not only has Beth guided me in rescue, but she's always been there for me about my cats - whether it was puking, peeing, etc. Beth helped me with a foster that had distemper and it was through her continual encouragement that I healed her. It took a lot - lots of medicine and daily subq fluids - but Beth, was there for us (the cat and I.) The cat "Tia" is now a member of my family and is a very, fat siamese though I don't know why (but she's happy and healthy!)

However, the point of this email is - Beth, you have saved sooo many lives and have ensured loving homes for so many others. I really am a believer in that "karma comes around" and you will be blessed for your devotion and help to these animals.

As well, you have been an amazing friend and confidante to me and I am sure to others - you truly have the spirit of giving.

I am happy that you realized this is the time for you to withdraw (for you), but sad for the animals. However, I know Darlene and crew will carry on in your footsteps.

Tonight, I raise a glass of champagne to Beth Turner - you are an amazing woman and you have made the world a better place. Never forget that!

love,
Liisa"