Thursday, August 07, 2008

Everybody Has an "Ozzy" in the House

Anybody who has multiple cats in the house, has an "Ozzy". Ozzy is my own problem child. Like any problem child, I find myself really endeared to this bad boy. Ozzy doesn't know his name is "Ozzy"....he thinks it's "NO-NO!" Seriously. He thinks his name is "No-No".

Ozzy is a polydactyal - he's really a freaky looking guy with all those extra toes. One of his toes grows repeatedly into the pad in his feet, so he needs to have his nails trimmed regularly.

Last night, it took 4 adults to hold 18 lb Ozzy down to trim his nails. This cat is ALL muscle and was like a fish flopping out of the water while we had the nail trimmer out.
We all ended up with battle scars. Scratches, bites, white hair all over the place - it was a war zone.

We managed to trim ONE nail.

Ozzy is great about riding in the car, so I took him to the vets today to have his freaky nails trimmed. Dr. S was such an expert and snipped away. It took him about 15 seconds.

Ozzy is also my "Pee-Pee" boy. I'm happy to say he's on medication for it. But for months, he pee'd in every sink, pee'd on every baseboard, and every plastic bag laying around. The medication is successful, thank God. But giving him a tiny little pill every morning is another matter. The little booger won't even take the pill in a cat treat! How does he know it's there??

I'm convinced that Ozzy greets the new foster cats by saying, "HEEEY, new guy! You can pee anywhere you want and nobody gets mad at you!"

For all of Ozzy's faults, he's my "Family Ambassador". He's the cat that I let meet new foster cats first. He doesn't care of anybody hisses at him, or takes a swipe. He just wants to eat their food and poop in their litterbox. Ozzy is the cat that is my bar for checking out whether a new foster cat likes other cats.

If Ozzy had been living at somebody else's house, I'm sure they would've gotten rid of him by now. I can't imagine Ozzy not being in my life. He was a shelter cat that was going to be euthanized. He was a foster cat that I couldn't part with. He's my little "No-NO".

I write this to give encouragement to anyone that has an "Ozzy". It's cats like Ozzy that make you smile when times are tough and you're feeling low. He's the cat that my sons hug and kiss when they're feeling bad too.
So what if he licks the butter on the Easter dinner table?

I love this guy.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of this picture:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-pictures-cat-wonders-why-you-buy-exploding-paper.jpg

Anonymous said...

I know a cat that would poop on beds, and not their own bed. I mean nicely made fresh sheeted queen size beds!!! ONLY BEDS, nothing else ever got pooped on...it was by far the wierdest habit I have ever witnessed by a cat. But after doing some extra laundry and keeping bedroom doors closed he was a wonderfully entertaining goofy sweetiepie :)

Some cats sure don't make it easy to be wanted though!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I know a cat that would poop on beds, and not their own bed. I mean nicely made fresh sheeted queen size beds!!! ONLY BEDS, nothing else ever got pooped on...it was by far the wierdest habit I have ever witnessed by a cat. But after doing some extra laundry and keeping bedroom doors closed he was a wonderfully entertaining goofy sweetiepie :)

Some cats sure don't make it easy to be wanted though!!! LOL

RHz said...

I have a "Xander" who has peed on everything, refusing to stop because he's perfectly healthy but feels like it. Who eats pieces of the broom and then drags it down the hall so I trip over it. Xander is who has knocked everything from my headboard onto my face at 3AM, causing me a black eye. He's also the cat that follows me EVERYWHERE in the house (shower included) and is the only cat out of six to befriend the puppy. I can't imagine what life would be like without him.