Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Still Alive in 2013

It's been a LONG time since I've written in this blog.  I don't think I've ever gone this long without writing.  Certainly I would usually do a "year end" wrap up and a 'Happy New Year' thing.  I'm not really sure what's changed for me. 

I've been writing in this blog diligently since 2008.  It was intended to be a blog about my life in cat rescue.  It was never supposed to be an ongoing rant about the shitty shelter I was rescuing from, but I was looking at the videos posted and the comments I made (and were made about me) and realized that even *I*  was getting bored with the despair and lack of control that I had about the shelter.

When I started a more positive rescuing experience for myself and the rescue, I didn't realize what a shit storm of ugliness from (of course)  anonymous  posters who thought I had abandoned the high kill  shelter.   But that really  wasn't so.  One staff member from the shelter told me to STOP RESCUING from the shelter if I was going to bitch about the illness in my blog.  :) 

When my rescues became more positive  and encouraging, they also became boring for the reader and myself  - the writer!  "Yes, I rescued 5 cats from the low-kill shelter, they're healthy, cute and friendly."  

So I thought that perhaps it was time to discontinue the blog. 

I stepped on a huge pile of cat barf this morning in my bare feet on the way to the washroom.   It was during that not-so-delightful-half-asleep moment that I realized perhaps I have  more to offer this blog.  It might end up being more of the same, but I'm hoping it'll continue to give those few some insight to what we do and encourage those who are in the same boat.

It's been 5 years.  More to come....

16 comments:

Random Felines said...

I think all of those things are honestly what is involved in rescue.... you have to take the good with the bad and realize that not everyone is going to like it or agree - but it is what it is :)

Sparkle said...

I like hearing both the good and the bad - I've always appreciated your honesty about rescuing cats, and I think humans need to hear both sides. Plus you have done so well with Forever Home - I think it sets a great example of what a rescue should be!

Debbie said...

Welcome back, missed you!!!
Yes I must admit, the kitties are adorable and healthy from (the other) shelter !!!
Can't wait to get ANOTHER one !!!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I read your blog every time you post, and truly appreciate your efforts. I rarely comment, but I hope you do continue because I like reading about all of your experiences.

shannon said...

i have no issue with the happy stories! we need more of those these days. its great to see healthy cats being saved and homed forever. I really hope you keep the stories coming.

Anonymous said...

To quote the sitcom song from the 70s....
"You take the good, you take the bad,
you take them both and there you have
the facts of life, the facts of life"

I like your blog Beth- it's succinct in a world where we could all use a little more common sense.
Karin

Anonymous said...

I second what ABBY said, love reading about all your experiences! Rants are eye-opening and happy stories are great to read.

Unknown said...

I personally like both kinds of stories. I like the honest to goodness truth of what you do. Please continue!

Donna said...

Welcome back! I read every entry you make - and I like to hear the bad and the good. Those who criticize you have obviously not been in your shoes. Blow them off, and I really hope that you keep the blog going.

Kristen said...

Missed you, Beth. I'm addicted to this blog, whether the stories are good or bad, I feel as an animal lover I need to stay informed from those that do the REAL work and suffer the tears and despair. Your support is with you!!

Caroline said...

Thank cat your back! We've missed you. Ahh cat barf, better than cat poop me thinks!

Tina said...

Happy New Year Beth! So happy to have you back....I've been checking every day for a new entry. I like your tell it like it is blog...the good, bad and ugly! I want you to share it all because it truly helps to know that you go thru the same things we do. It helps to know we aren't alone in these experiences. You inspire me and I know many others so please don't let the negative posters keep you from sharing with us. Besides it's your blog to do exactly what you want to do with it! Looking forward to what 2013 will bring :-)

Devon said...

I love the good, the bad and the ugly! It's a great way to keep up with what's happening with the rescue. We're all busy and don't have enough time to touch base all the time.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Write your blog for you, that way it is never a disappointment!

as a reader, I don't care what you are doing as long as you are saving cats. I will admit string after string of sick kitties can wear on a reader, so knowing that some of them are doing well and are uneventful is heartwarming, but I know life is what it is, and rescue cats get sick.

I say you do away with anonymous comments and do what makes YOU happy.. (unless that is not blogging any more, then I'll be sad)

hmacross said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. The good news makes me smile, and the bad and ugly either makes me angry or sad. Such is the life of an animal rescuer.

Perhaps the high-kill shelter will make some changes so you (and everyone else) does not complain about all the sick cats.

I think if readers are going to criticize what you write on YOUR blog, they can at least do it with a name. It's easy to be mean and such if you are anonymous. I suspect that you only approve a small percentage of the rude comments though.

Smartypants said...

Beth, as a previous foster home of yours who only stopped because we had to move out of province, I love that your blog is a way I have been able to continue to keep in the loop about what you go through! I'd be disappointed if you stopped. Like the rest who have commented here, I want to hear both the good and the tough stuff because that is truly your life in cat rescue... I've always loved your honesty and it is what made me contact you in the first place years ago! :)

Jocelyne