Monday, May 26, 2008

It's Garage Sale Time

This is going to be a busy week and despite some minor objections from David, we're having another garage sale at my house this year. I can hardly wait to get rid of the crrrrrap that's been in my basement for the past 5 years. I don't know why I've been keeping it. Like foster cats, some things are hard to part with. :)

My oldest son owes me some money, so he's going to be my fetch and tote kid to bring this stuff out of the basement. He thinks it's going to be an easy job - wait until he sees this stuff. I'm hoping we'll get some decent $$ for it all.

One of the nicest parts of doing the garage sale is how many former adopters show up! The past few years folks have shown up with pictures of their "kids". Ahhh....it does a heart goood.

We put up a tent and have kittens in a shady area in "the kitten corral". The kittens won't be up for adoption, but it really helps keep people hanging around and buying stuff. Certainly, it adds credence to our cause. I do a lot of soliciting for foster homes during these things. I wonder if people avoid me because I talk about fostering so much?

Going through the boxes and bags that people have donated is really quite entertaining. Last year, somebody donated (accidently?) a sex toy that shall remain nameless. To this day, I wonder who donated it or who was missing it. *wink*

Lordie, I hate cleaning up after a garage sale. We're up at dawn and worked the whole day before the event, so cleaning up is the worse job of the day. The volunteers are all tired and uninspired. Nobody (especially me!) wants to clean up the crap that was left behind.

D-- is bringing her teenage son to help. If the truth be known, I'm jealous that her son WANTS to help us. (This is the same kid that played Santa at our holiday event!) I asked my youngest son (he's 17 years old) to donate some of his old toys and he said he would - if - he could keep the money. Can we say "T-U-R-D"? It must be nice to have an unselfish teenager in the house. I'm going to sell his stuff anyway - he'll be asleep and won't miss it. Do I sound bitter? I'm more embarrassed than anything.

It's going to be a busy week - but I'm up for it. Just got back from San Francisco after watching my baby graduate from nursing school. Now if she can only marry a veterinarian...

But I digress....

No comments: