Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tossed Out With the Garbage

I received a phone call yesterday from a young woman who has a neighbour that has a female cat who is constantly pregnant and delivering kittens. When the kittens are 8 weeks old, she puts them outside to fend for themselves and waits for the next batch to arrive 63 days later.

This kind of thing blows my mind. How can ANYONE throw out kittens? Even if you don't like cats, there are animal shelters to take them. Needless to say, the young woman (Robin) asked me to help her with the next batch of 4 kittens that were about to be tossed out. Sure. I can help. There's always room for 4 kittens.

Robin arrived at my house with her sister Laura. What lovely young women! In their crate were 4 six week old kittens. Holy Moly - the cutest little angels I've seen in a long time! I was really expecting them to be malnourished and flea bitten, but they weren't. They were healthy, but obviously had never been held or loved. Their new foster Mom, Connie picked them up this morning. They'll be loved and won't have to worry about becoming raccoon food. They're the lucky ones.

I asked Robin and Laura to give that woman my phone number. I'll pay to have her cat spayed. It's going to be TOUGH for me to do this woman a favour, but I'm going to do it for the cat - not for her. I'm actually hoping she'll give me the poor Mom cat too.
I hope she calls me. It's going to be hard to be nice.

No comments: