Monday, April 14, 2014

"Defeated, Exhausted and Frustrated" Must Be A Family Visit.

I arrived home from Seattle and had to hit the ground running.  It felt like kitten season had exploded in the 4 days of my absence.   Phone calls, rescues and adoptions were in full force and there was no recuperation time for me.  

Despite seeing my beautiful daughter, the trip to visit my parents was a disaster.  There are some days I feel like I'm the only one with "family issues".  I love my parents dearly, but have never been more disappointed in their behavior than I was  during this trip.  It was stressful and I left not speaking with my own mother. Ridiculous!  Why can't things be more simple?  

Needless to say, this was not a refreshing or relaxing trip.  I came home feeling defeated, exhausted and frustrated.  

The good news is, we had tons of adoptions and have already have almost 50 adoptions during the month of April.  I guess I need to wallow in good news for a bit.  It always makes me smile.  

We rescued six kittens from the Quebec gas chambers recently.  They spent a few  days at my house while they were vetted and quarantined.  I split up the big litter to allow 2 kittens to go to our veterinary clinic that offers our kittens to be adopted through their clinic.  Their little faces looked at me with great hope I would do the right thing for them.  I left the clinic feeling incredibly anxious.  Seriously, anxious.  I haven't had an true anxiety attack in about 15 years, but I really felt the wave of dread and anxiety hit me deep in my stomach. 

I started to think about the kittens never seeing each other again.   I fretted about it until it became a full blown anxiety attack.  Fortunately, it didn't last long but it left me feeling defeated, exhausted and frustrated. Familiar feelings from that never left me from my trip to Seattle.  

I'm OK, but am envious of families who don't have that sort of drama.  But maybe everybody lives that illusion.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Sorry to read your trip wasn't better. I know about drama, my mother created it! Good work with all those adoptions and splitting up the kittens was fine, as long as 2 stay together for a while.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

wallow in the goodness.. I like it :)

Anonymous said...

You are NOT the only one!
I'd tell you about some of my trips to my parents, but I don't think you'd believe me.
The Child Protective Services people certainly didn't when the interviewed me after one of the neighbors called.
(Not putting my name on this one, I'm sure you understand why. I'm grown up with my own family and she still scares me.)

Hang in there!

I remember reading a quote from an actress once. I don't remember the quote, or the actress, but it was something like: "We have to recognize that we will do the best we can with our kids, and recognize that they're still going to be in therapy for the rest of their lives."

Nobody is perfect. We just have to do the best we can with what we're given, and make sure our children have the tools to get into an even healthier spot than the one we were able to reach ourselves. Onward and upward!